What is going with Ford, first they missed up the explorer next the expedition? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is going with Ford, first they missed up the explorer next the expedition?

rusty813

Reaction score
City, State
Private
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL what is that? Looks like a giant FLEX!

Looks like they tried to style it off the f150. But nobody buys SUVs to off road. When was the last time you wheeled your ex?

When I first saw a Flex, I thought it would be a nice, functional replacement for the venerable, full size Station Wagon. Then, I found it was front wheel drive... Ugh!

If this new Expedition is rear wheel drive, I'm interested.

2014_Expedition.jpg

2013_Flex.jpg

I never had any qualms with the station wagon in the first place. To be replaced with friggin' minivans was a travesty!

1967_Station_Wagon.jpg

V8, full frame, rear wheel drive, carry 4x8' sheets of plywood. Parts compatible with sedans. What the hell was wrong with that?

The Flex comes AWD with the 3.5 and wow is it fun, so it is not necessarily just a FWD vehicle (that pic must be of the base model, the metallics with the trim packages are very nice looking). The Expedition is looking like it is still going to have the F150 platform with the Ecoboost and 4WD and/or possibly the 5.0 and 4WD.
Regarding the 2014 Expedition exterior look, it is really hard to say what it will look like since that link is just someone's rendering of what they think it should look like.

the reason why it looks a bit weird is because on that rendering it doesn't have a roof rack which DOES make a difference in the looks, cant wait to see the interior.

What's up with the new chopped top look Ford is trying to render?

I'm with you. I don't even think the new Explorer is on a truck frame. Is it? I guess people are wanting a car like ride. Ford should come out with an Explorer classic for those still wanting a true SUV. Still built on a truck frame that resembles past Explorers. Usually when a car maker comes out with a new body style it takes awhile to grow on me. The new Explorer has yet to strike my attention.

At least the engineers at Ford were not working together when designing their cars. Well assuming there were different designers.

I love the new Mustang, Focus and the Fiesta. Those cars did get better looking.

The new explorer is no longer a body on frame, it is a FWD crossover as are almost all small and midsize SUV's now. I believe that the Durango is one of the last body on frame (truck style) RWD midsize SUV's available now.

The Explorer was the best selling "SUV" in 2012, blowing all but the Grand Cherokee out of the water.

How exactly did they "miss it up"??? :scratch:

The Expedition is currently getting blown out of the water by the GM Utes, by greater than a 5 to 1 margin. Maybe if Ford did a redesign like that rendering and put in the 3.5 EcoBoost and 8-speed tranny, they could get some of that market share back.

Ford should come out with an Explorer classic for those still wanting a true SUV. Still built on a truck frame that resembles past Explorers. Usually when a car maker comes out with a new body style it takes awhile to grow on me. The new Explorer has yet to strike my attention.

Toyota sold 5,200 4Runners last year compared to 17,200 Explorers. The people have spoken! :D

What's up with the new chopped top look Ford is trying to render?

I'm with you. I don't even think the new Explorer is on a truck frame. Is it? I guess people are wanting a car like ride. Ford should come out with an Explorer classic for those still wanting a true SUV. Still built on a truck frame that resembles past Explorers. Usually when a car maker comes out with a new body style it takes awhile to grow on me. The new Explorer has yet to strike my attention.

At least the engineers at Ford were not working together when designing their cars. Well assuming there were different designers.

I love the new Mustang, Focus and the Fiesta. Those cars did get better looking.

yea i definitely agree, thats why i am either going to buy a f-150 or expedition...in 1 or 2 years. I am guessing the reason ford did that to the explorer, because they are probably going stop producing the explorer after 2015 is my guess.

The main reason behind the switch to a crossover style is to reduce weight and like others have said improve ride quality. Switching to a primairily FWD vehicle also allowed them to change the bodystyle to a crossover. Everything has been geared toward making the company meet the minimum EPA fleet MPG requirements.
The explorer is not going away, it is the only misize SUV that they produce for North America and way too popular to warrant taking out of production.

Hey folks!

The best official places to check out upcoming models of Ford vehicles are http://www.Ford.com or http://media.ford.com. That's where we post all kinds of great information - and pictures - of our vehicles. If you have suggestions about what you'd like to see in future Ford models, I encourage you to post them on the Your Ideas tab of http://social.ford.com. Once your idea is submitted, come back here and share the link so we can all vote on it!

Crystal

Back