What is needed to swap power seats into my manual-seat navajo? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is needed to swap power seats into my manual-seat navajo?

zwoobah

Reaction score
City, State
Providence RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo LX 5-spd 4WD
My driver's seat is shot, and pass seat isn't far behind. I found a nice seat of power leather buckets out of a 98 Ex at a junkyard, but my truck's seats are manual. Can I get the wiring harness out of the power seat truck and plug it in? Or do I need to run power from the fusebox? Thanks!

And a pic from this afternoon:
P0001971.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are those Limited wheels? You can simply add two wires, but they need to be fused at about 25 amperes. It would be wise to buy as well the wiring connector which plugs into the power seat, from the donor truck.

Also, others may know better, I believe that you have to choose between the early model seats, something about the mounting changed around 1992. It may be that you need the mounting brackets from the 91 model, I'm not sure about the details. Just don't jump on some later model seats without knowing how the mounting will work. Good luck,

The seats brackets on the 91's were not square, the inside (next to console) was shorter than the outside. From 92 on both sides were equal. This means that the back bolts will line up but the front ones won't. I ended up drilling holes in the cabin floor and attaching bolts to angle brackets from Lowes. And that's on the manual seats.

Okay good, there are the important details to know before buying a different seat.

you can likely bolt your seat tracks to the 98 buckets

wiring up the seats is not too hard, your fuse box under the hood already has an open port waiting for the power seats fuse and wire

Thanks for the input. I did notice that the tracks were a little different, glad to hear I can most likely use the stock '91 tracks. If I swap the tracks, will that elminate the power function of the 98 tracks? Honestly I don't mind having manual seats, and it would mean less work to wire them in.

And yes, those are 2000 Explorer Limited wheels with slightly oversize 255/70/16 michelins. They rub slightly when turned at full lock, but the extra flotation is nice in deep sand.

Back