What is the proper method to replace Transmission Pan Gasket? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the proper method to replace Transmission Pan Gasket?

rgiles

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT, '02 Limited V6
I have read and searched on this subject and I haven't found an answer. I've never dropped the transmission pan before and was wondering if I need to add some sealant of some sort or if the gasket is all I need.

The Haynes and Chiltons never mention using sealant so I'm assuming that cleaning the gasket surfaces and using a dry gasket is all I need. How do you do it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I changed mine I just layed it on there and it has been fine.... Just make sure you torque the bolts to the right setting (18 ft. lbs I think?) I have read that you can use that 3M spray adhesive to hold it to the pan if you have difficulty positioning the gasket, because the spray adhesive will not harm the transmission fluid or internal parts.

I always had trouble

wih the gaskets that were scrunched up in the filter boxes. Those were best to buy the day before and stretch out flat for the day. Never use silicone sealant. I've stuck them in position with a light coating of some petroleum jelly so they don't just slide off. Thats what the ATSG manual says to use. This works a lot better if the pan is cool. Your bulkpart probably came pretty flat. Never found it to be an issue unless it was in a ball just before installation.

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll use the petroleum jelly idea, it's cheap and easy!

use grease to stick it to the pan. it wont hurt anything, and it was even in the instructions with the last filter i bought.

Opera House said:
Never use silicone sealant. QUOTE]
Yes, I revived a thread from waaaaaay back! :p

I did a pan drop on my A4LD that's in the 92 Sport. I put some black silicone on the pan side of the gasket to hold it in place, THEN did a quick search here to see what others use. :eek: :confused:

So, what's wrong with silicone??? I have the pan snugged up, and will torque to specs later. Did I waste a gasket, and my time?

I used silicone to hold mine from benign back to creased. This was in november when I did my shift kit so 15k miles later I have no problems

We always use the vaseline (even inside during assembly). I do not know why they posted it, but here is my reasoning. Most people (ametuer mechanics) think if some is ok, more is better. If it oozes out inside the transmission it can cause serious problems. Hopefully, the filter catches it, but then its plugging at least part of your filter (not that great). If it gets into something else, say the valve body.....whoa! :eek:

I will give you an example of what I am talking about, but its not a transmission. I bought an 88 f-150 351/C6 4X4 last year. I drove it for a while (had lower oil pressure anyway), then gave it to my dad. All of a sudden it started rattling bad (lifters). We pulled them and replaced the lifters and push rods. that cured the rattling, but the oil pressure was still low. We pulled the pan to replace the oil pump. Guess what? It had silicone all stuck in the pick up screen. New pump and pick up and it has 50 PSI when we start it up. (real guage)

See the point I am getting at?

Please use RTV, it is for hot environments like an engine or transmission. Silicone is a cheap product compared to RTV. RTV is also much better for roof patching than the crap that is available at Lowe's and Home Depot.

If you use RTV for anything, let it harden before using.

Most good transmission gaskets now have some holes small enough that a couple of bolts are snug in the holes. Simply place a couple of bolts through the pan and the gasket. It will stay in place until you can start the bolts. Good luck,

As above, just start a couple bolts and alighn the gasket, DO NOT USE ANY GASKET COMPOUNDS or RTV or silicone, if you have an OEM grooved ford gasket, it is actually meant to be re-used, but I would always opt for a new gasket.
Some new filters come with a cork gasket(fram micro) ford OEM, some come with a rubber type gasket, no gasket or RTV compounds are needed, TQ to spec in an alternating pattern, re TQ after a few days

Well said, buy the best gasket available, many are reusable these days. Regards,

After you pull the pan look around the rim of it and you will see a series of 1" of so grooves/indentations ... put a dab of vaseline (actually any oil soluable grease will work but vaseline is really clean grease) in each groove, not too much, and then press your gasket onto the pan .. the vaseline will hold the gasket in place and what liitle that oozes out (again, don't use too much) will mix with the tranny fluid just fine

The main thing to watch for is the heat shield for the cat converters that clip onto the side of the pan, make sure they don't knock the gasket out of alignment ... don't worry it's not hard, just something to watch out for

I'd also reccommend an inch pound torque wrench, if you are going to do a lot of your own work you're going to need one anyway, you'll be surprised how often you'll use it (valve covers, intakes etc.)

Back