What is under the interior rear plastic trim? 4-door 1 gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is under the interior rear plastic trim? 4-door 1 gen

ld50

Oh, the money you`ll blow
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
If anyone has some clear pics of a gutted rear interior of first gen I would appreciate if you could post me some photos. (second gen same?)
I`ve been searching and searching and I can only find photos that don't really show everything, or thery are poor angles. I know they have to be around here somewhere. I am specifically inerested in the area beneath the rear side windows, wether there is any kind of sill or how it is constructed there.

-thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Under the right side window is the stock amp, and then the wheelwell, thats about it.
Left side has the rear power window washer resivoir and whatnot.

Thanks, I can see a bit of that through the opening on the driver's side jack compartment of course, and well, I seen the reservoir there too. I was hoping to see more though, all at once, without actually taking it all off.
I guess I can take off the hidey hole trim and look up under the other side too, hmm, might just see enough like that to get a good feel for that under-window area.

Hm yeah, without someone having some pics, you might not be able to see too much LOL.

What exactly are you wanting to know for?

You can see the bottom of the back window in my 96...

th_106_0687.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/106_0687.jpg

i attempted to take off the trim around the pass side cubby hole area and got scared after 2 of the clips snapped. i said screw that and just snapped the corner back on.

Ive seen some pictures on this site with that area removed and a battery installed, so the room must be ample.

Yeah im not gonna lie, theres enough room for a spare (or two) battery, maybe not full size but anywho, you gotta realize too, in the pic that toyp. posted, thats a 96, with the JBL system, so in yours, your only gonna have the one silver amp, everything else is just free space.

Good thing Kent posted that pic, I was looking for that pic for the last 5 minutes and couldn't find it. Ha ha!

You have to remove plastic retainers from behind the rear interior panel before you can remove the cubby trim. It does NOT snap in from the front. Remove the screws in teh floor, the christmas trees from the rear of the trim all the way up the back and around the window, and you'll see what to do to get the cubby out.

Good thing Kent posted that pic, I was looking for that pic for the last 5 minutes and couldn't find it. Ha ha!

You have to remove plastic retainers from behind the rear interior panel before you can remove the cubby trim. It does NOT snap in from the front. Remove the screws in the floor, the christmas trees from the rear of the trim all the way up the back and around the window, and you'll see what to do to get the cubby out.

geesh.. that much work? the battery can stay under the hood then. well, I do need to take the panels out to change the speakers in my 2dr. another reason why i put up with busted rear speakers.

Just like that lol

My cubbyhole has been thrashed in the past, it is screwed on, been like that since I bought it.
:rolleyes:
attachment.php

They got some ugly epoxy everywhere too, ugly work.

That picture pretty well shows me the sill, I think it will work.
I been thinking about fabbing up just an insert for the cargo area that will fit between the windows and just cargo strap to the four tie down points. It has to support some weight, but will be made of aluminum, so as long as I have some sill for it to rest on it should be alright. I`m thinking the trim also rests on that little bit of sill as it comes out from the window. Just a tentative project at the moment is all. I`d kind of like to keep as much trim in the ex as possible.

-thanks fellas

I rebuilt a 99 with my 93 body, they are the same inside. The trim pieces actually take up a lot of space, there is ample air space behind and under them.

Attachments

• Projectthread091.JPG
    Projectthread091.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,488
  • Stealthbox01.JPG
    Stealthbox01.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,626

Yup! Those are the ones! Ha ha! :D

Back