What little quirks and annoying problems does your explorer have | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What little quirks and annoying problems does your explorer have

Marcus Aurelius

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
What little annoying quirks and small problems does your explorer have that make it unique and even though its sometimes a pain, you still laugh at it.

For mine:
1. You need to keep the steering wheel slightly to the right for it to go straight. :)
2. The gas gauge rises when I'm driving, but decreases when I'm stationary. :D

Tell us about your explorer related vehicle's uniqueness, if it has any.

Also, should I be worried about these to annoying problems it has?

-Marc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The seat belt doesn't retract the way it should and will get caught in the door if you don't pull it out of the way. I call this the "Ford Disease". It still annoys me even after 10 years of owning the vehicle.

The seat belt doesn't retract the way it should and will get caught in the door if you don't pull it out of the way. I call this the "Ford Disease". It still annoys me even after 10 years of owning the vehicle.

my seat belt dose the same thing and it all ways pulls to the right so you have to keep a hand on the wheel at all times. the back left passenger door dont open right some times.the washer butten dont work some times. and breaking countless fog light bulbs

The door chime goes off regardless of whether or not the key is in the ignition when door is open.

The seatbelts get twisted up to easily.

The driver's side panel in the cargo area rattles.

When I think about more of them, I can also add both of what you mentioned above:

1. The seatbelt on both sides does not always retract all the way. :mad:

2. The jack panel cover, it does not rattle around, it just always comes lose when you drive anywhere.

-Marc

1. Driver's seat belt does not retract on it's own all the time and needs some help

2. Passenger side of moonroof rattles. Trying to find some way to fix it but I think it's impossible without removal.

my driver side door doesnt unlock (i know the problem just havent gotten around to take care of it)

it seems moody, sometimes it will run better than other times, but it will always run great

This:

-You need to keep the steering wheel slightly to the right for it to go straight. :)

-The gas gauge rises when I'm driving, but decreases when I'm stationary. :D

this,

-The door chime goes off regardless of whether or not the key is in the ignition when door is open.

-The seatbelts get twisted up to easily.

-The driver's side panel in the cargo area rattles.

and this,

-Tranny gives me trouble in cold weather but works excellently in warm/hot weather.:rolleyes:

-Rear wiper pops off when used.:scratch:

-Key can only be used to open the driver door and operate the ignition.

PICT4861.jpg

My X was an electrical nightmare. I've posted this before, but I still have to laugh at it. My wife and I and our kids who were young at this time were taking a trip together to Skyline drive. Well all of a sudden the left side rear door won't open. One of the kids started crying, wife said we can't go with that door like that. Plus each kid said they're not sitting next to that door.
I've about had it at this time. Then I calmly said, give me ten minutes and I'll have it fixed. Now remember with the door closed I can not take off the plastic covering because I can not get to the screws with the door closed.
So here I come out with the sawz-all. Then after cutting through I told the kids now all you have to do is to pull on that little rod.
I never replaced the door paneling and left it like that for years untill just a few months ago that it went on the back of a roll back to get crushed with 250,000 miles on it. Less the disc rear axle, brake booster and a few other parts that are now in the B2. As far as I'm concerned those engineers that designed the electrical system should all be fired.

Just added: Look at my signature LOL

Lots of quirks

On my Old 93, Loose loose steering, A little whine from speakers that intensifies with Rpms, When you open the drivers door from the outside it locks itself when you let go of the handle, Drives different at times (Just being moody), Tons and tons of rattles, Seatbelts don't retract properly, Gas gauge rises when driving.

Thought of some more:

1. Rearview mirror and left side mirror vibrate when driving. Probably a little loose, so I'm going to check that.

2. Passenger side door dosen't always stay open, esp. on hills. Sometimes annoying, but sometimes good if you forget to shut it and you don't have to:D.

-Marc

drifts to the right, and the electric lock doesnt work on the drivers door.

oh yeah, no intermittent wipers, only high and low.
that one is the worst, idk how to fix, i changed wiper module under the dash and that did nothin, i spent $40 on it cuz i thought for sure that was the fix, but it didnt do it, so now i dont wanna do something else and have it be that i wasted more cash.

Is something possibly wrong with the twist control on the turn signal itself, like a loose connection or something that changes the speed. You could probably try taking it apart to check. I'll find out soon for myself if it can actually be removed, I'm not sure.

-Marc

How's this for a quirk... it has never given me any trouble, not once since I've owned it, always runs like a top. By far the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Then, on a road trip, I reluctantly let my girlfriend take the wheel. As soon as she pulls onto the road the Check Engine light comes on and for the next several miles the engine lacks power and the transmission doesn't want to shift, and the climate control starts acting up going either icy cold (no AC system) or really hot. We pull over and I get in and drive, and all the issues immediately go away. Never happened again.

Otherwise no quirks I can think of. The rear defroster used to randomly be on when I'd start the car sometimes, but that quit on its own.

My Explorer is in really good shape, I think. It only has 70k miles, 60k when I bought it a couple of years ago, but the more I think about it, it does have some annoying problems.

1. The cruise control buttons got all melted, and had big holes where they just completely began to disintegrate. I got a replacement for those, took me all of five minutes, so they are no longer a problem.

2. Neither the passenger nor the driver's side power mirrors work anymore. I'm at a loss as to why, but I have to roll down the window and manually adjust them if need be.

3. The rear passenger-side door does not open from the inside. Again, no clue why. You pull the handle, but nothing happens; it will open from the outside, though.

4. The key will not open the rear hatch. I put it in there and it won't let me turn the key any direction. It has been like this since I got it; I don't know if there's a different key for the back or what. The door will unlock and open, I just can't unlock it with the key.

5. Last but not least, the weatherstripping on the driver's side rear-window is worn out and there is just the tiniest little hole where the weatherstripping doesn't contact the window. It is fine around town, but on the highway there is an annoying whistling sound right in my ear from where the wind is getting in.

It may sound like a piece of junk, but I promise it's not! :D

Mine just has two a cel that comes and goes as it pleases I believe it to be a vacuum leak but have not been able to track it down, and the other being another randmon event of the door ajar light coming on and hearing the ding and it will just keep doing it so the doors keep locking as well.

CEL comes and goes, seat belt will retract....sometimes, rear view mirror is loose and bounces a bit, and the one that realy drives me nuts (drum roll please), there is a squeak on the rear view mirror harness cap (auto dimming mirror) that no matter what i do, will not go way!

Keep getting a P0401 code and I've replaced everything to do with the EGR system.......comes and goes.

Broken seven interior door latches. Spent about 100 dollars combined. Have bought motorcraft, chinese ones, they're all the same. Trash. Finally ended up cutting out a spring in the chinese ones. I've replaced them in all doors. Blend door problem. Exhaust leak. I hate it, but it keeps running so who really cares right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh and I replace Motorcraft sway bar links as often as your mother uses feminine products. About monthly...

Back