What seats are these and how do I wire them? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What seats are these and how do I wire them?

sd_iconoclast

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I got a couple very nice seats out of a '98 Explorer Limited at the junkyard.
Both seats have the same controls:
On the side, a panel with a small joystick flanked by two up/down switches.
I assume these control seat position and lumbar supports.
On the corner near the door, a large pushbutton looks to control the seat heater. In front of it is a small unmarked three position toggle switch.
What does the toggle switch do?
I am more mystified by the wiring.
The driver side seat has 17 wires going to it. I have factory manuals but I am having trouble sorting out which wires go external to the seat, so I am not sure how to hook them up.
The passenger seat has only six wires going to it. I do not see why anything other than power and ground are necessary.
My questions are:
1] What does the toggle switch do
2] How do I hook up the 17 wires to the driver seat
3] How do I hook up the six wires to the passenger seat

The driver seat has the joystick, 2 up and down toggles and the one that is horizontal is the lumbar support, of course there is the heated seat button. The reason I'm guessing the driver side has 17 wires is because it has the lumbar that the pass. side doesn't have and it also has the 2 separate position memory storage module.

Does the memory switch affect both seats, or just the driver side?

So I installed the passenger side seat and I connected only two of its wires.
My '96 explorer only has two wires in the seat connector, Black and Black/White.
I believe them to be ground and +12v respectively.
After hooking up these two wires, everything on the seat seemed to work except the seat heater and the back control on the joystick.
I assume the heater does not work because the light on the button does not come on when I press it.
I am hoping the joystick thing is a bad switch (joystick).
The passenger side (new) seat had only one black and one black/white wire so it was obvious how to connect it.
The drivers side (new) seat has two black/white wires and one black wire along with 14 other wires.
I connected black to black and both black/whites on the seat to the one black white in the existing connector. Nothing works on this seat.
Time to look at the schematics

Back