• Register Today It's free!

What should i do to my X

GoneExploring

Reaction score
City, State
Sugarcreek, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB 4x4
I have the tt and shackles sitting on 32x 11.50s. My question is what should i do to the truck next its my DD but also pulls trail duty on the weekend. I have about 3 grand to spend total so I was hoping some one could give me some insight on what to do next to make it more capable and keep it reliable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a locker for the rear. My X is basically the same as yours, mod wise. After I got my locker I can hit trails I never would have been able to before. Also I would get a body lift on it and put some larger tires on, get some more clearance. Like I said I'm locked, but still pretty close to the ground so deep ruts and stuff are a problem for me. Get some custom bumpers and a skid plate. A winch also. Or you could just go all out and SAS it, but idk if 3k is enough $$. Also your truck will be down for a while. I'd say locker, body lift, bigger meats, then you'll be able to get yourself into some trouble. :D

yeah thats what i was thinking a locker bl 33s build my bumpers and get a winch any thing else also with locker i have no expierience with them what should i get i dont really want air or elec that can malfunction or get ripped out so what choices do i have?

do you have an open carrier or a LS carrier? For an open carrier you have a lot of choices. LS though and your only option (that I am aware of) is a Richmond Powertrax No-Slip. Thats what I have. A lunchbox locker like the one I have is easy to install, but not strong enough for 35" tires or huge power. If you get a full carrier locker, like a Detroit you will have to set up your ring and pinion gears again, a job best left to the pros in my opinion.

Just always remember that a locker will get you more stuck, while a winch will get you unstuck.

So why not have both a locker and a winch lol anybody else have some ideas. Im thinking 33s is as big as i want to go.

Well, 5 33" tires aren't going to be cheap. And a decent winch is going to be $500+ So right there you are looking at $1500 minimum I would say. TT/shackles is nearly free, like $70 for the shackles. A body lift is like 190. A locker is like 450-500 if you have the LS carrier, a lot less if you are open. So you are over $2k with tires, winch, BL, shackles, and locker. And you need a winch bumper, so now you're looking at $2400. You want to save some money for when you break stuff, cause you will eventually, lol. These are like worst case numbers I'm throwing out here, without looking anything up. But things add up fast. I think its better to do it in stages. Get some 31 or 32s and go out and see how it works, what you want to do from there. Any ##### with a bunch of money can go to 4wheel parts and say "give me one of everything", it takes time to build a really good rig, where everything works well and is well thought out.

yeah i have the tt and shackles and i will make my own bumpers and i have seen a warn 9000 for 250 , plus my buddy just texted me and is gonna give me new rims and 33s for 180 for my 32s and rims its getting better every minute lol

Anyone else have any ideas to make my truck better offroad with a 3k budget?

how are your gears? AND some sort of lighting...everybody likes bright and shiny lights. :)
also a CB or somethin.

do the body lift, get the 33's, get a locker, get a winch bumper and a winch

sounds good anything else i have the 4.10 gears stock and already have a cb lights was another thing i was looking at what is the best wattage to go with i was looking at 100 would these be good or no brighter than my head lights?

Back