What should I pull off the donor rig (SAS) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What should I pull off the donor rig (SAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
I just came across a complete 96 XJ sport being parted out. The axle will cost me next to nothing and has the 297 shafts in it already. Likely all I need to do is regear it to match my 8.8.

I am considering jumping on the opportunity, but wanted to ask y'all a bit first.

First question being what all should I grab off of the vehicle to make the swap easier?? I am thinking that I should take the radius arms, steering and brakes. But what else can I reuse off the heep for my swap.
Steering box????

Next question regards the much discussed axle strength. A local fab guy and I were talking about this, and his fear using the D30 is that it may "bend" due to the size and weight of my rig. I know several are running this axle with no issues, but I thought I may as well ask for more reassurance. Yes we already discussed this in my axle width thread, but.............

And for my last question does this axle still have the vacuum disconnect, and if so what do I need to eliminate it, or bypass it. I know this is discussed in JoshC's build up thread, but I'm not sure that I need to worry about it on this particular axle? Or what years the vacuum disco applies to.

In short I have a very limited timeline to respond to the seller (hence the new thread) your assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Bryce

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO, take every part that you have even the slightest idea will work/modified to fit yours. I know that I'd rather have too many of the parts(and later sell them) than wind up buying everything except one or two parts that you needed. Here's a bump for you.

Thanks for the bump Bmxking, I just logged on to do that very thing.

I talked with the seller and am going to go ahead and take the control arms, entire steering set-up, rotors, calipers, brake lines, and any bracketry that I can in addition to the axle. Don't know what can be re-used. But like you and Jr told me, I might as well get all I can now.

At least a bit of research told me this is a HP axle, non-vacuum, with 297x shafts, and sealed bearings. Not excited about the bearings, but at least they're half the price of the IFS units for my rig.

Two q's for all you wiser than myself.
Can I actually use the Jeep Control arm set-up? Or will I have to re-work it, or do a custom RA set-up?
Can I use the Jeep steering box rather than an early explorers? It won't cost me much so I thought I may if it can be used with the explorer power steering setup.

Damn I am in over my head! :confused:

If i remember right the jeep steering box has the pitman arm facing towards the back of the truck. That would make you have to push the box pretty far forward to get the pitman to not be on top of the axle and cause steering issues. Im not familiar with the second gen explorers to know how much room you have that you can push the bax forward.

You could probably make the contol arms work that come with the axles. However they are pretty short and would limit travel and you would have to fabricate 4 mounting points on the frame vs two if you did a radius arm design. I would grab them anyway you could always cut them up and use them for mocking up your final suspension. I would also grap the trackbar as well. Might be able to use it might not but atleast you have it.

I just looked through a few of the D30 SAS's and all of the 2nd gens used a 1st gen Explorer steering box.

I know a guy that used a scout box on his 98 ranger when he did the SAS. The thing nice about that box is that it mounts to the outside of the frame. That may or may not help in any clearnce issues that you may run into. I am not familiar at all with your body style so I am just trying to help you by tossing some ideas out that may or may not work for you.

Thanks guys, I think then I'll leave the jeep box alone and look into other options.

I was afraid that the control arms wouldn't work, but I will take them for now.
I prefer the idea of using a set of EB radius arms and possibly wristing one.

As to the tracbar, I did request that as well. Hopefully all the bracketry will be salvageable as well. I doubt I can use it, but it will give me something to use as a model.

Y'all will likely see a thread in a couple days as I start working on the axle. I was told it is all in good condition and recently "refreshed" however I figure new parts all around should make things a lot more reliable down the road.
i have the summer and fall months to gather the parts, so it should be fun :D

Did you get it?

EDIT: Just saw the New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back