I need ideas where to mount a back up camera!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need ideas where to mount a back up camera!!

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
I am installing a back up cam on my parent 07 EB and cant figure out a good location to mount the cam. Any ideas and pics would be greatly appreciated!

Top of the liscense plate blocks the tailgate handle, bottom of the plate looks goofy, the reciever hitch is too close to the bumper to put it there... This is annoying lol. Thanks in advance guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am installing a back up cam on my parent 07 EB and cant figure out a good location to mount the cam. Any ideas and pics would be greatly appreciated!

Top of the liscense plate blocks the tailgate handle, bottom of the plate looks goofy, the receiver hitch is too close to the bumper to put it there... This is annoying lol. Thanks in advance guys!

I bought a flush mount camera and mounted it in the bumper cover right above the hitch receiver. Since I have the reverse backup sensors it blends right in. I'll try to post a pic a little later.

ZYtBC.jpg

Thats what I wanted to do, but when I got here the cam is a little box that can be aimed. Kinda threw a wrench in my plan :(

Thats what I wanted to do, but when I got here the cam is a little box that can be aimed. Kinda threw a wrench in my plan :(

Ahh.. I've seen them at the top of the hatch aimed down before. Not sure how far back it's good for though.

I bought a flush mount camera and mounted it in the bumper cover right above the hitch receiver. Since I have the reverse backup sensors it blends right in. I'll try to post a pic a little later.

ZYtBC.jpg

Is there alot of room behind the bumper right there? I might just do that anyway. Looks good.

picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59824.jpg

watching movie from ipod
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59825.jpg

view of the back up camera
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59826.jpg

night vision camera, you probally can get a camera up in those cut outs
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59827.jpg

inside the tailgate this is the grommet for license plate lights,
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59830.jpg

this is a picture of where all the clips are located on the rear gate trim panel
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59831.jpg

i fished the headliner to the front a pilar
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59828.jpg

inside truck there is a conduit for the wiring.
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59829.jpg

going into the tail gate, tight fit grease wires before pulling!
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=60197.jpg

reverse wire at driver side kick panel

Is there alot of room behind the bumper right there? I might just do that anyway. Looks good.

There is directly behind the "band" anyways. About 3-4" after you pick the little bit of styrofoam out of the hole.

I appreciate all the input guys.
I talked to my dad lastnight and he decided just put it at the bottom of the plate. Not my first choice - but - its not mine. Thanks for all the pics!

Hey, wanted to ressurect this thread. The guy who mounted the camera on the bumber, How did you run the cables to get into the cab?

Hey, wanted to ressurect this thread. The guy who mounted the camera on the bumber, How did you run the cables to get into the cab?

They follow the kick panels up along the right side and then cross to the middle near the jack storage and go under through one of the rubber plugs. The kit I bought had a weatherproof cable kit since the connection to the camera is not fixed.

I am really temped to buy one of these, but the part is located in china and you just remove the puddle light and install the puddle light combined with the reverse camera...I think its a great idea

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-VIEW-B...=170732393602&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_100&vxp=mtr

I'm wondering if anyone tried this?
I'm looking for a good backup camera, preferably one where I can see the corners of the bumper but I'll use it for hooking up trailers.
If would be great if it didn't block the license plate as I think that may be illegal here in TX

Back