what solid axle works without cutting? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what solid axle works without cutting?

dusper4

Reaction score
City, State
celina, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xl 4x4
what types of solid axle can i swap for the ttb that will be about the stock width? i dont plan on wheeling hard so i dont want to go full width. i did search and only came up with the dana 30 out of cherokee, is this the only one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a d44 out of a wagoneer. i think it may be a bit wider but not by much...cant remeber exactly.

Yeah, 80-84 Waggy. Or a D44 from an EB?

EB 44 may require trimming the engine cross member for clearnce dont have to with a waggy axle.

If you don't wheel too hard I would consider looking more into them D30's.

Though a bit weaker if you go high pinion it is nearly as strong as the low pinion 44's from the EB..... Plus you keep the same width, and the same wheel bolt pattern. There are a few other pro's but they are debatable.

Keep in mind that tire size on a d30 should not exceeed a 35 and gears should be no deeper than a 4.56. If you surpass those limits you need a HP D44 if you expect it to hold up all that long.

edit, there are a lot of different versions of the D30 under the Jeep's do your research....Same is tru of D44's I suppose though. I just never dug that deep as I had no need for a full width axle.

Back