What to do with a Trak-Lok, Weld it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to do with a Trak-Lok, Weld it?

newstylecustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 Explorer Sport
I will be swapping in a disc braked 3.73 LSD rear in my 94. I don't have the money to upgrade the carrier right now. Has anyone welded a trak-lok carrier? Or should I put more clutch plates in it so it won't slip?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

,,,the trak-lok works fine as it is...if you weld your rear gears you will be going thru tires quick, unless it is a trailer queen...;)

I would definitely just consider adding clutches, because i swapped a trac-lok for a lunchbox locker, and then welded spiders. The trac-lok was far better than the other two, and it turned out that i should have listened to the advice i was given......

Restack clutches

When you rebuild the clutch packs restack them. There may be info on this site as to the proper procedure if not ask someone with a Fox body Mustang they will know how. When I rebuilt mine it was a little tighter than spec but it works great. Dont forget your friction modifyer to cut down on the clutch chatter.:burnout:

Oh i forgot to mention the traction lock applies only when there is a load on the spider and side gears restacking gives you more friction area which in turn better traction.
If its a DD stick with the trac lock untill you can go selectable.

I was afraid the clutches would just burn out off road. It is two wheel drive currently but I plan on wheelin it after the 4wd conversion is complete. Anyone know how long the clutches will last? I have a lunchbox in my ranger but it is a street truck.

Those clutches last a long time, as long as you take care to do preventative maintenance. change your diff oil after mudding, Etc....

I replaced mine at 236,000 miles along with the lube.:eek: Like I said earlier you only have presure on the clutches during a loaded wheel slip condition. The pinions (Spidergears) load against the axle side gears <> and force the clutching action Most likely you will never notice this on a proper working diff.:confused:

When you rebuild the clutch packs restack them. There may be info on this site as to the proper procedure if not ask someone with a Fox body Mustang they will know how. When I rebuilt mine it was a little tighter than spec but it works great. Dont forget your friction modifyer to cut down on the clutch chatter.:burnout:

you can also look over at TRS too they have a lotta info about restacking the clutch packs.

I know several guys running packed 8.8s work very well.

Tim

Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to order some clutch plates. I have read a few articles about restacking.

Back