What would you replace first ?

BUNGLE

Reaction score
City, State
Lyndhurst, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 AWD
Hello all !!!

Nice forum you have here very informative. I just picked up a 97 XLT with the am/fm stereo cassette and 6cd changer in the arm rest and rear sound controls I beleive its the standard sound system.

My problem is when I crank it up I get some terrible sounding bass from this thing. I also noticed that it sounds like when you play a cd or the stereo loud enough it almost seems like it cuts the bass out or produces carppy sounding bass.

My question is what would you replace ?

Is it the speakers ? or Is it the head unit ?

After buying this truck Im really strapped for cash but I found a nice Sony that fits this truck for about $100.

I also found some speaker sfor around the same price.

Another question is if its the speakers how much RMS sound handling will I need ?

Thanks in advance :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced the stock speakers in my '98 Sport with Infinity Kappas, and it made a huge difference. Deeper bass, less distortion.

Your still using the stock radio ?
If so that would be awesome for me save me some cash. :)

I imagine you replaced all 4 right ?

I just checked on Kappas looks like they have either 5x7 or 6x9 I beleive I have 6x8 according to crutchfiled

Thanks for the quick reply

From what you described its definitely the speakers. I have a '97 as well with the JBL premiium package and they are plenty clear and loud.

The premium JBL system you have still uses the same am/fm stereo cassette player I have but has JBL speakers ?

If thats the case all I would need is speakers ?

I don't know if the regular JBL is the same unit as the premium ones but I'd say your best bet is just get the speakers.

Do you have the woofer in the rear quarter panel?

Good question I dont think so. But Im not sure about that.

I just checked on Kappas looks like they have either 5x7 or 6x9 I beleive I have 6x8 according to crutchfiled
The 5x7s will mount right up. The 6x9s will have to be "adapted" to fit.

The JBL speakers are different than the premium ones. If you are looking to upgrade the sound consider adding an aftermarket HU as well. The OE HU's (non-JBL) turn down the bass as you turn up the voume.

Originally posted by BUNGLE
Your still using the stock radio ?
If so that would be awesome for me save me some cash. :)

I imagine you replaced all 4 right ?

Thanks for the quick reply

Still using the stock radio a least for another week or so. I did replace all four, I used the 5x7's for the rears and 5.25" components for the fronts. You have to do some drilling to put in the tweeters but it's well worth it.

I saw the speakers your talking about they look really good. I think it may be out of my league price wise especially having to buy 4. A lot of us have wives Im sure you understand. But I di come across these Infinity Reference 5752cf 5"x7" 2-way Speakers for $59.99 a pair. Looks like the Kappas except the tweeter is mounted on the speaker. I also saw some Pioneer TS-A6870R 6x8 from Walmart of all places for $55 a pair. I know its pratically impossible to get good stuff for under $100 but $200 on speakers will put me in the dog house. hehehe :)

ive always replaced the head unit first. even on blown speakers [like all mine currently are :( ] it makes them sound really nice. *sigh* mb quart q-line will soon be on the way

Well thanks for the replies all. Im looking into geting some speakers. Maybe I will get to replace the head unit for Xmas.

I am looking at some nice Kenwood speakers 60 Watts RMS only $59 I beleive the model number is KFC-C6889ie
I used to own a Kenwood HU and it was great Im hoping the speakers are as good. ;)

Thanks again !

I got some polk 5X7's from Crutchfield to replace my factory speakers. They were around $50 a pair and sound way better than the factory ones.

Back