What years will front diff fit my 2000 XLS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What years will front diff fit my 2000 XLS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97-01 four door
97-03 two door
all first gen sport trac, you may have to change the link on the side however.
as long as the gearing is the same, your good to go on the above

97-01 four door
97-03 two door
all first gen sport trac, you may have to change the link on the side however.
as long as the gearing is the same, your good to go on the above
Why does wikipedia list 95-01 for 2nd gen? Will 95/96 work or does it have to be 97-01?

I believe 95-96 have an axle disconnect or something that makes the diff different.

I believe 95-96 have an axle disconnect or something that makes the diff different.

^this
actually, i should also say if you find a 96 AWD v8, the front diff will also work

just drove 3 hours to pick up what a guy swore was a 3.55 and I get there and it's a 4.10. 😟
That stinks. 3.55 isn't the most common, mostly found on xl and xlt models. You could of grabbed the rear with the front and upgraded to the 4.10s if it was available.

Ditto, and the 4.10's were in most 4WD V6 trucks.

That stinks. 3.55 isn't the most common, mostly found on xl and xlt models. You could of grabbed the rear with the front and upgraded to the 4.10s if it was available.

Don't want the gpm hit. Going in the morning to get a 3.55. (hopefully!)

Don't want the gpm hit. Going in the morning to get a 3.55. (hopefully!)
If you're going up in tire size as well you shouldn't have too much of a hit in you gpm. Might even get slightly better depending on the amount you go up. That's all based on if you even want to go up in overall tire diameter in the end.

If you're going up in tire size as well you shouldn't have too much of a hit in you gpm. Might even get slightly better depending on the amount you go up. That's all based on if you even want to go up in overall tire diameter in the end.
Agreed but not touching the tires.

I rev at about 2100 rpm at 60Mph with the 16" and the 4.10s .. The do give great off the line takeoff, I couldn't imagine it with higher gearing. Those must be real milkwagons :lol:. I don't think though 4.10s are a great choice for these 4.0 OHV trucks. The need some more power to back them up. Seems very suited for offroad or pulling boats out of the water, esp with the 4 low. lots of torque multiplication with little HP. Anyone disagree?

I rev at about 2100 rpm at 60Mph with the 16" and the 4.10s .. The do give great off the line takeoff, I couldn't imagine it with higher gearing. Those must be real milkwagons :lol:. I don't think though 4.10s are a great choice for these 4.0 OHV trucks. The need some more power to back them up. Seems very suited for offroad or pulling boats out of the water, esp with the 4 low. lots of torque multiplication with little HP. Anyone disagree?
16" rims are different than the overall wheel diameter. I have 235/75R15 on mine with 3.73s (stock) which really is decent off the line for what it is. I'm around the same rpm at 60mph give or take a little. I've taken off from a stop with no pressure on the gas in first, even went up an incline that really felt like I was almost straight up (4LOW); so I'd have to agree with you on the torque on these. With the larger diameter rubber, my 3.73's would get better mileage but suck at offroad in the end.

16" rims are different than the overall wheel diameter. I have 235/75R15 on mine with 3.73s (stock) which really is decent off the line for what it is. I'm around the same rpm at 60mph give or take a little. I've taken off from a stop with no pressure on the gas in first, even went up an incline that really felt like I was almost straight up (4LOW); so I'd have to agree with you on the torque on these. With the larger diameter rubber, my 3.73's would get better mileage but suck at offroad in the end.
My 16's are like a 30.5 in that size. There is a calculator that you can put in your trans (it knows the gears), rear end, tire size, and it gives you RPM.

4.10s with 16's are probably close to your 15's at 3.73. Wheels are just as important as gears. Lower gears are preferred for towing. I don't see an increase in tow capacity though for the 4.10s. The 16" wheels could explain that.

These trucks were definitely designed with light offroading, towing, pulling a boat out of the water in mind, etc. Maybe the V6 control trac even more than the V8. The OHV V6 at low rpms produces more torque than the SOHC. The pulling power with 4low is unbelievable. It is like some giant with a long breaker bar. No hp(he takes it slow) but tons of torque.

3.73 gears get better fuel mileage than 3.27's in the 1st gen trucks, which were all 29" tires. The 3.55 is a rare ratio, but Ford was learning over time which worked best for mileage, versus towing etc.

So for near stock 15" sized tires, with a manual trans(lower gearing), that 3.55 to 3.73 gear range is likely best for just on road and highway driving. For any kind of towing, the next gear or two up in ratio, would help some.

Back