whats the pipe diameter of a K&N intake? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whats the pipe diameter of a K&N intake?

96743explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Big Island, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer V6 4x4
searched to no avail. i was wondering what is the size of the intake piping for a K&N intake for a 2006 V6 Explorer? i was guessing 3". i need to know for sure because ill be piecing together a custom intake setup. its much cheaper than a K&N. lmk guys. thanks.

searched to no avail. i was wondering what is the size of the intake piping for a K&N intake for a 2006 V6 Explorer? i was guessing 3". i need to know for sure because ill be piecing together a custom intake setup. its much cheaper than a K&N. lmk guys. thanks.

You can measure the stock intake, the most important section is where the MAF sensor is, it should be the same exact diameter as OEM or the reading will be off. Also remember that the OEM intake already is a cold air intake, the KN type filter will draw hot air. It would be interesting to replace the portion of the OEM intake where the resonators are and use a high flow filter...

I'm currently looking for an Air Intake kit for my 4.0 V6 engine, Any ideas as to where I can purchase one?

I'm currently looking for an Air Intake kit for my 4.0 V6 engine, Any ideas as to where I can purchase one?

This trucks already have a cold air intake so changing it to a K&N will draw hot air. The best you can do is get rid of the intake resonators and get a free flowing panel air filter.

There is a thread about it in this section.

Back