4pointslow

Explorer Torture Tester
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2Dr,2,000 & 04 4dr xlt
I'm gonna need different wheels and tires.
1. Need wider tires for more traction, wider wheels for wider tires.
2. I don't want center caps that I have to remove when I go racing like the factory ones I have now.
3. Don't want to go much heavier if possible.
4. Can not go much smaller in total diameter since I am going through the traps close to max rpm. I do have a little wiggle room, I can change shifts points to go a little higher and I am not exactly at my highest RPM either. Current tire diameter is supposed to be 30.1 inches. 255 70 16 Goodyear Wrangler RTS.Tire tread width is only 7.2 inches.
May be able to go with a 28 or 29 inch tire, haven't computed it yet.
All 4 tires have to have the same outside diameter because of the automatic
4wd system.
5. Wheel lug nut spacing is 5 x 114.3

I would like to go with a larger diameter wheel, maybe 17 or 18. Don't know yet. I really don't want to go with a super low profile tire because the wheel well on an explorer is quite large.
I plan to lower the vehicle a little and get rid of the step bars, if I can find the right wheel/tire combo.
I will edit this post as I come across other things.

I also don't like how the rear wheel flare sticks out so much and the wheel sits in. See yellow arrow in second picture.

Attachments

• Wheels 1.jpg
    Wheels 1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 906
  • Wheels 2.jpg
    Wheels 2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 919

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cobra R wheels

I like the look of the Cobra R wheel that 18psiexplorer used. I love how wide the tires look from the rear, serious traction.
I really like how the deep dish sticks out wider in the back, kind of makes up for the wheel flare sticking out so far. My flares are probably a little wider, I think there was 2 different designs.
The only thing I would change is the side wall. I would prefer a little more sidewall, or taller tire. I don't think they exist though. And I have to keep all 4 the same diameter.

Attachments

• 18psiexplorer 1.jpg
    18psiexplorer 1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 2,818
  • 18psiexplorer 2.jpg
    18psiexplorer 2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 834

I think to get a true ""performance"" tire thats wider/sticker your gonna have to step down from such a tall tire..seems most start around a 55 sidewal or 27"OD..also 18" rims seem to have better options for wider tires..

Im still shocked your getting as good of traction as you are with the tires you have... :)

Personally I like the BFG G-force line but they are all LOW LOW profile. .

I run the cobra r rims..I love them..they did make two different styles.one was a deep dish..ive got 255/45/18 on mine right now..ill end up with 295/35 on all four when finished

Wide Tires

I like slammed98z's picture from the front, those tires look mean. So does that intercooler.

Attachments

• Slammed98z.jpg
    Slammed98z.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 843

Tires

I run the cobra r rims..I love them..they did make two different styles.one was a deep dish..ive got 255/45/18 on mine right now..ill end up with 295/35 on all four when finished

Is that on your Ranger or Explorer? Post picture please.
I like looking at everyone else stuff and trying to decide what I want.

john, are you looking at aftermarket wheel/tire or a factory ford wheel/tire. i second the cobra r's, but you will have to run spacers with any mustang rim because there isnt enough clearance with the upper ball joint in the front (and depending how wide of a tire you go) and may also rub on the sway bar when you go lock to lock. i dont know how common those wheels go for sale down there. if you find one of our mods "MOMMIX" i know last year he had the rims from his truck for sale, and lives in MD, so he is a couple of hours from you.

More Cobra R's

I really like these for the back, I think the color might match the flares too.
I just cant find the right tire for it. All the wide tires like 315's are low profile like JD4242 said.

JD4242, those cobra R's look good on that 4 door explorer without flares.
They looked good on your ranger too but I like the ones you posted a link to even better.

Attachments

• Cobra R wheel 1.jpg
    Cobra R wheel 1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 885

rubbing

john, are you looking at aftermarket wheel/tire or a factory ford wheel/tire. i second the cobra r's, but you will have to run spacers with any mustang rim because there isnt enough clearance with the upper ball joint in the front (and depending how wide of a tire you go) and may also rub on the sway bar when you go lock to lock. i dont know how common those wheels go for sale down there. if you find one of our mods "MOMMIX" i know last year he had the rims from his truck for sale, and lives in MD, so he is a couple of hours from you.

Thanks for the heads up, clearance is an issue too when trying to find wheels.
What size rims were they that were rubbing? I was thinking that maybe 17's or 18's might clear.
I have a used 17x9 Cobra R that is in bad shape that I got just for size testing. I tried it on the back but not the front. Funny thing is it is a non deep dish so I would have used it for the front. I should test it for clearance.
You wheels looked awesome in person, I have to go through your pictures and look at them to compare wheel size and tire size etc.

I really like these for the back, I think the color might match the flares too.
I just cant find the right tire for it. All the wide tires like 315's are low profile like JD4242 said.

JD4242, those cobra R's look good on that 4 door explorer without flares.
They looked good on your ranger too but I like the ones you posted a link to even better.

Yea I like the link ones also..plus I dont really wanna go any lower and like your worried about, I got a pretty big wheel space opening look..20" will let me go to a taller tire...

Ps where did you find street tires in a 300+??? Most over 295 are drag tires :( I really want a 335/35/20 for the rear

spacers

Spacers are out of the question for me. I don't trust them with what I am using my Explorer for.

Mustang wheels

Yea I like the link ones also..plus I dont really wanna go any lower and like your worried about, I got a pretty big wheel space opening look..20" will let me go to a taller tire...

Ps where did you find street tires in a 300+??? Most over 295 are drag tires :( I really want a 335/35/20 for the rear

Those 315's were tires on mustang wheels, 17's I think though.
10.5 inch wide rims. 315's are too big for 9 inch, there was a picture below that one that showed the tire tread not fully contacting the road.

Attachments

• mustang wheel 315 tire.jpg
    mustang wheel 315 tire.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,078

Those 315's were tires on mustang wheels, 17's I think though.
10.5 inch wide rims. 315's are too big for 9 inch, there was a picture below that one that showed the tire tread not fully contacting the road.

O man thats chunky!!! O yea I knew they wont fit on current rim, also why I wanted those in the link.they are staggered 10.5 & 8.5.. ive seen people on rps stick the 335 bfg ""street"" drag rad on the 10.5" and its SICK...problem is a DD my truck and they wouldnt last

ok, i may have used a bad example here. i have spacers on all 4 of mine, but they are 20x10 i believe. the fronts have a 3/8's spacer (i think), and the rears i have 1 1/4, but thats only to bring the rim out so it doesnt look so funny tucked into the wheel well. before i had the 20's i did have a set of cobra r's but never did use them. i do remember putting just the rim on the fronts, and it had maybe a 1/4 from the ball joint, but i dont know about lock to lock. that and i also dont know how much bulge you would have with the tire you want to run as well.
and thanks about the look on mine. they are one size smaller in height then what it had from factory if i am correct. they are a 245/50 20 tire if that helps you. also you should remember i am lowered 2 inches as well, so i am sure that doesnt help with the rubbing either.

My buddy (one sold me them rims and in those pics) said he ran them fine without spacers on the front, he too ran spacers on the rear tho..said they come very close but dont hit the ball joint, he too was lowered. .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look to OEM wheels if you can find those you like etc. They will be much lighter most likely than any non high dollar aftermarket wheels. I have a set of cheaper 18's which are very heavy, and it costs performance.

I had 94-97 Cobra wheels before, and they fit closely, just a hair tight in front. Those OEM Mustang 8" wheels should have the same 30-32mm offset from 1994-2004 models. I don't what the OEM 9" wheels have for an offset. I added 1/4" spacers later due to rubbing in the rear(the whole back end moves side to side a ton), and I cannot use them with my current wheels(the studs are not long enough).

So in the back it looks like a big 315mm tire would work, but only if you can do something to control the lateral movement of the rear.

I've been slowly hunting for a 17x8 or 17x9" wheel set, thinking a 275/55/17 may be a good fit. An 18" wheel could take a 275/55/18 well also.

The problem is the BJ's in front, the offset has to be below 30mm ideally, 25 and less when the tire gets wider than 255mm. The back has more room yes, but the stock rear track width length makes it look like it needs 1-1.5" longer axles to look right. Now if you considered having the 8.8 rear welded for strength, changing to longer tubes and axles wouldn't be so much extra.

You have 70 series tires now, that extra sidewall helps traction a bit, the shorter profiles will not have equal traction(given the same tire model). So you have to hunt good sticky tires for the size you got to.

Good luck, I've been wanting wheels with much wider spoke thickness, fewer spokes, and popular now seems to be more and thinner spokes.

Back