When did GT40 heads appear on EWxp's and Mounty's ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When did GT40 heads appear on EWxp's and Mounty's ?

fluids, filter, hoses, belts, mounts, pumps, believe me I know :) hahaha

You are wise, the Explorer Gt-40p drivetrain is a *****IN choice for many uses, my buddy Joe put the same thing into his 60 something Ranchero and I sold a 98 Mounty 5.0 to a guy in Grand junction whos building a AWD 60's Ford van :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410, great to hear I am not the first one trying this, I LOVE Ranchero's ! In Australia (I'm an expat) we still have Ranchero like cars, we call them Utes, and you can get them in all shapes and sizes.
The best one is the 5.4 3 valve 6 speed stick shift Ford Performance Vehicles version that kicks out 390 hp. They also have a 4.0 stright six turbo, amongst others.

Here I'd love to get hold of a 1970 (I think) Fairlane Ranchero with the stacked headlights....

But anyways, back to Exp and Mounty's I have a good lead on a 100k mile Mounty that not too far away and has been flipped, appears to be good for a chassis. 5.0 AWD 99 model. Fingers crossed.

dont forget the 99 computer will have PATS, but it can be added to your project or flashed out of the computer

first...the gt-40 vs. p results in no change in compression. 64 cc for both chambers. don't know why the hp was increased, but the compression listed can be explained with one word..."nominal". mustang 5.0's have 8.7-8.8:1, but are listed as 9:1 nominal. same as lumber sizing. second...a running v-8 x or mounty can be had right now for under 3 grand. just picked up mine for $2300 with a few small issues to deal with. 92k miles, leather. the v-6's are commanding more money than the 8's right now. good time to get a good deal.

good luck. sounds like a fun project!

I know they're a bargain and I think more rods will be built from them in the future, expecially the 2wd versions.

It's funny people were trying to get me to use S10 and Ranger Chassis and then Small block Chev engines - screw that when you'd still have a whole lot of fab stuff to do - the Ex it's all done right from the factory.

you can buy the heads from ford motorsports new, mine actually came from jegs $600 bucks complete (pair, new) ready to bolt on. but I don't see them in there catalog now, the only ones I see are the alum. version. I have a set of 1969 351 GT40s but they needed work and I could buy these new cheaper than I could rework the old ones.

If I still needed confirmation that I am going the right way with this and not wasting time and money.
Check out this bargain.
http://public.fotki.com/wargames/51-ford-f1/getimageaspx.html
That truck which is a 5.0 AWD, with 182,000 miles sold for $700 at a salvage auction. This morning. I would have snapped it up but I don't have the right membership level (some auctions you need to be a dealer or a scraper etc)
It's also in IL.

But really, what a bargain. I hope I get that lucky with the one I am looking at, it's more damaged but lower miles.

182,000 miles means you will need to rebuild the engine and the transmission, that does not look like so much of a bargain now, unless of course you dont mind going this route.

98+ 4 door 5.0L explorers with AWD and approx 100K miles on them go for $1000-1500+ at the local private auction depending on how badly damaged

At what mileage is it best to have the engine and transmission rebuilt?

trick question
a compression test will tell you how your 5.0L is doing, a well cared for V8 will last well over 180K miles.

The V8 auto transmission by nature will typically last 150-200K miles before catastophic failure, but that life can be increased or decreased dramatically depending on the owner and service performed.

Cheap insurance = change your oil, change the trans fluid & filter, and keep the transmission cool.

the GT-40p drivetrain I put in my BII had 53K miles on it when it was installed, the transmission was 80% rebuilt before I installed it, so I change the trans fluid & filter once a year and my oil every 3000-4500 miles (full synth oil, motocraft filter) I should be able to make this drivetrain last me a long long time with this type of prevenative maintenece, that is of course unless I get the $$$ to build a 331 stroker and upgrade the trans before then. the BII has 290K miles on the frame and body

My 96 Explorer has 153K miles on it originally, the GT-40 drivetrain I installed from my other 96 truck (rolled) had 81K miles on it, so again with all new fluids and filters, good prevenative maintenece it should last a long long time, the trans will likely need attention around 200K miles

Even though scruff already mentioned it, I figure I would tell you guys that this is in the 06 ford racing catalog.

Did you know…
You can identify GT-40 cast iron heads by the
3 vertical ribs cast in the ends of the cylinder head.
GT-40P heads have 4 vertical ribs.

I agree though, that the best way to find out on an installed explorer engine is to see if there is an EGR tube.

Back