Where are the nerds when you need them? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where are the nerds when you need them?

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
On the premise of smartphones, you always see people writing or modding software for mobile devices and sharing it with the public. Most specifically Android operating systems. I wonder why none of them have taken the effort of creating a whole new OS to use with MFT (and other manufacturers)? I think everyone here would entertain a working OS that gave so many more possibilities than what Ford has delivered with their basic MFT software. I would LOVE to have an Android based MFT system, specifically Google Maps to use instead of the horrid navigation software they use now. Hell, I'd probably pay for it as a great alternative to MFT.

With the availability of open source software, I would think we would be seeing these mods today. I have seen Android head units.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably all possible, but not worth the time or effort over what would be gained. It runs windows ce embedded is my understanding, so I doubt Android or Linux is going to run on what ever processor they have easily, maybe a pxa300 chipset.

Here is an older thread, specs might be better now http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366952

Probably all possible, but not worth the time or effort over what would be gained. It runs windows ce embedded is my understanding, so I doubt Android or Linux is going to run on what ever processor they have easily, maybe a pxa300 chipset.

Here is an older thread, specs might be better now http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366952

The same could be said for Android phones with all the different variants of OS's created too, but they go on ahead and keep making them anyway. I'm just surprised there hasn't been anyone try anything (that I have seen anyway) yet. The Google Maps would be the doosy. I can't stand the Ford navigation software.

I want to do THIS.

How? I don't recall seeing a HDMI port in my cluster.

I want to do THIS.

How? I don't recall seeing a HDMI port in my cluster.

Nope and in my explorer I don't have the composite input for video either.

Nevermind. I found the solution.

Lockpick Air

Awesome. Ordered.

Awesome, let us know how it works out for you. I've been looking at this myself and looking to see how well it performs before I make the purchase.
For the price, it had better make me waffles.

I got it yesterday, had it easily installed within 15 minutes in my 2015, then spent the next 4 hours trying to make it work. After several calls to tech support, I determined the unit is not ready for prime time. I attempted to use 6 different devices on it, and not a single one would perform like they advertise. The ONLY device I could get to do ANYTHING on it at all was a Nexus 5, and even it wouldn't perform like it should have. I could get the Nexus 5 phone to mirror to the HU, but Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV, YouTube, none of those would display the picture. Only the sound. And when I attempted to use Pandora and Spotify, neither would stream music without constant interruption and skipping. It was a total PITA to even make a connection, then when it finally did, it didn't work. I immediately un-installed it, and it will be going back to them first thing on Monday for a full refund. A total turd.

I hate to say it, but I was disappointed not having sync 3 in the 2016, but have come to love the Sync 2 system and it has been problem free, at least the parts I use.

If I was able to get Android 4.4 on my old HTC HD2 Windows Mobile 6.5 phone, Android can run on our MFT's.

That said, our MFT's don't use any run of the mill System-On-A-Chip hardware. They use an SOC designed for the automotive industry with an encrypted bootloader that will only load signed software. A lot of research and design went into ensuring that once the SOC system was switch from program mode to run mode, it can't be switched back.

So, to get a new system on our MFT easily, the private key needs to be cracked. The hard way is to find an exploit that causes the system to load unsigned software, which hasn't been found yet.

Progress so far includes ability to push configuration changes for parameters that were designed to accept changes through the cars CAN BUS network.

Reality is that the hardware specs are so old, it's probably better to engineer/build a brand new system to replace the APIM. Replacement of the MFT Touchscreen may or may not be necessary. It works, but uses proprietary connections.

Profitability of such a venture dependent on the number of vehicles on the road with MFT, then by the number of those vehicle owners willing to pay for a replacement/upgrade.

With Android Auto and Apple Car Play on the scene, development costs of a replacement may have gone down, but the replacement would still have to do everything the MFT does...for ALL models. This includes the environmental controls, accent lighting, sending required info to the dashboard/console screens, etc...

Personally, I keep hoping that the 2012/2013 focuses with MFT become cheap enough that some MIT/Caltech/... students pick up a couple and take on the challenge of getting the MFT to load Android Auto. Not for the money, but for the challenge of it.

Back