Solved - Where is the tachometer hooked up on a 1991 4.0L Aerostar? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Where is the tachometer hooked up on a 1991 4.0L Aerostar?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
what do i hook the signal wire to?i have it mounted in a pillar pod and wired other than the most important wire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to the tachometer feed wire tan with yellow stripe in 91
You can find it at the pcm, test port and likely behind the instrument cluster

Post some photos of your set up when you have time. What kind of tachometer are you using?
i had to use a two inch ebay cheepy because thats all that would fit in my two guage pillar pod.

The EEC-IV test port is under the hood between the master cylinder, and the blower housing.
i looked there.none of those wires are the right color.the module on the opposite fender has the wire but it will be hard to tap there.the wiring diagram shows a tachometer test port or something similar with the right color wire but i can't find it.

On the 3.0L engine, the tachometer signal should be one of the wires on the ignition coil. The later models have an ignition module mounted onto an aluminum heat sink on the passenger's side fender wall. The older models have the ignition module on the distributor. If you decide to get an MSD ignition system, they have a dedicated tachometer connection. The 4.0L has coil packs plugged directly into the ignition module so there's a connection for the tachometer on one of those wires. A schematic should identify which wire it is.

Zenish, I'll check my van to see if I can locate the wire

Back