Wanted Which bearings?

Parts or services wanted

6iron

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I'm starting to lose the front bearings in my 2000 XLT.

What are the best reccomendations for replacements? Are the O.E's on my truck SKF? I know they make very good bearings, and I can get a new set w/lifetime warranty for $225/each, so about $500 to get the job done. If they are the same quality as what I have now, I'd be happy as I am just losing them now after 11 years and $200k clicks.

But "lifetime warranty" is not always a good thing - I don;t want to jave the job being re-done every year, etc.

I'm not adverse to paying $500 for bearings, but if I can get a better deal on something of equal value, then I'd be all about it - I don't have any hardcore brand loyalty for this type of part. I've been hearing horror stories about Timkens, but lots of people are still loyal - I don't want to be swayed by blind loyalty: I'll keep cheering for the Flyers no matter how many times they lose, but if an important part on the truck lets me down because of quality, then I'm moving on.

Thanks to any that have an educated opinion,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timkens are the most popular and a top quality replacement, get them on 1aauto.com or rockauto.com for ~$110 each plus shipping. $225+ each is ridiculous. :)

Hundreds of people here have the Timkens and the rest aside from about 5 people bought cheap ones and ended up putting on Timkens later. They will last. Some use SKF, but the stockers were Timkens.

Rock also has a 5% discount code thread here.

Hm. I can get a pair of Timkens for much less than $110 each, it was the SKFs that had the heavy $225 pricetag on them.

Thanks for the info,

If you can, post the info up- everyone is always looking for deals on authentic Timkens! They had been $150-ish each for a long time and last year dropped to $110-ish each...

Dissapointing answer: I get all my parts from a great retail spot - non-franchised, and no online sales. But he has 17 pairs of Timkens in stock for my truck at $155/pair plus Canadian taxes. He recommends the SKFs, but not because the pair is worth more, he's just an honest guy and thinks they are much better bearings. He's adament that Timken's have a limited warranty for a good reason.

Well, we have a crapload of members who don't have issues with Timkens. I and others have used them for years now, and never have an issue.

Search around, there are TONS of threads on bearings. If we're questioning, I question what he's got if he's really selling true Timken bearings for $70 each, especially since Rock Auto sells the SKF's for $140 each. Sounds like he's soaking you.

He's been my parts guy for 10+ years, I have never once received a knockoff or shoddy product.

I'll search around more, thanks.

This whole thing sounds odd. If he has 17 pairs of the Timkins, Id think the parts guy would be trying to get rid of them.

If they are Timkins, and at that price. I'd buy a pair. Can't be that expensive to ship to Winnipeg.

Me too, I'd take a pair for the shelf.

Back