which extended radius arms?

95offroadx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
i was looking around and came across extended radius arms. I see James Duff and Skyjacker both make them, which would work better with a 5" lift? also what do extended radius arms do?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Extended radius arms will give you better articulation like this
9883IM000952.jpg

I have the James duff arms and they very strong and I have been happy with them, they were designed for the new lift james Duff is going to be coming out with which is in the 5.5-6" range.
I will be selling mine in a little while once I get my SAS complete

I would suggest the James duff, I got those after my SAS and love em.

The Duff arms are for the 3" kit. Anything higher and you loose castor. if you go Duff be prepared to drop them an extra 1.5" just to get close to spec.

The SJ arms are designed with the 6" kit they released "At the Same Time"

If you think heims give you bind free articulation then skip the TTB and just go with SAS. the arm movement from full travel is around 20 deg at the bushing. 10 degrees either way is nothing for stock bushings.

The Skyjacker arms are very strong and fit well.
The Duff arms have been problematic inthe past with fitment issues, there is some question as to whether or not the single tube newer style arms can take the abuse.
Many have tried to build a single tube radius arm inthe past, and for most rigs it is probably adequate but somebody will buy them romp them in the desert and they will bend.

Radius arms change the geometry of the front suspension cycle.
They are the single best improvement you can make to the TTB for a better ride
Alot of radius arms are extended just to the trans cross member because it is a convineint location, this is a good setup, but they really dont need to be that long IMO, at least not with the amount of travel the common bolt on drp bracket coil spring TTB lift provides.

Camburg also makes good radius arms for your TTB. :)

thanks for the help guys, does anyone know if this is the right part
raidus arms

95offroadx said:
thanks for the help guys, does anyone know if this is the right part
raidus arms

Yep those be the ones.

The other thing with the Duff arms is that they mount the shock lower on the arm thus requiring a longer shock., and also that the body of the shock comes into contact with the arm at about 10" of full suspension travel.

that link takes me to Summit to a Skyjacker lift coils and Skyjacker DROP BRACKET link. I thought you were looking for extended radius arms?

the body of the shock coming in contact with the radius arm is common with aftermarket arms....a spacer is required on most or upside down shocks with regular upper mounts :)

I have run Duff old style arms upside down to work with 6" lift coils for better caster

410Fortune said:
that link takes me to Summit to a Skyjacker lift coils and Skyjacker DROP BRACKET link. I thought you were looking for extended radius arms?

the body of the shock coming in contact with the radius arm is common with aftermarket arms....a spacer is required on most or upside down shocks with regular upper mounts :)

I have run Duff old style arms upside down to work with 6" lift coils for better caster

The SJA RA135 is the arm kit. I think it's a typo.

Should read Raduis arm, bracket kit

I have literally beat the crap out of my Skyjacker arms and they laugh at me.
I have dropped a tire off a rock, smakced the radius arm on another rock with 80% of the trucks weight on that wheel and I was thinking, that should dent the sucker, nope just another scrape on the bottom tube.

The only thing I would change about the skyjacker arms is the x member for the trans, I would not let it hang down so low, and it is likely the weakest part of the kit. I have seen them dented, and we all know when a tube is dented its structural integrity is compromised. I have seen them fixed by instering a solid tube in their place.
I personally find myself driving to avoid hitting the trans x member as much aws possible cut dont worry a thing about scraping up a RA on a rock.

I know this is an older post, but how much does the skyjacker kit cost. just the radius arms.

Ryan

$500 ballpark new for arms, frame brackets, bushings, hardware, and trans x member

Dayum. Ive noticed in the 4wheel drive mags that I get, 4wheel parts shows that you can buy the Superlift extended radius arm kit fro around 269 do they suck?

Ryan

No they do not. They have been upgraded a few times over the years to take care of the weak spots.

They will have the same fitment issues as many aftermarket arms however, no biggie.

Thats a good price, however it sounds a bit low to me.

this is starting up a old thread but, i have just read that tuff country came out with extended radius arms, are you able to buy these without the kit? anyone hear anything good or bad about them?

Back