Which one do I get?

GFox

Reaction score
City, State
Glastonbury, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer LTD
Hello All,

This will be my first post on the forum, though it has been a wealth of knowledge during my car selection process. Here's the quick basics...

My wife and I had our first baby in July and her Dodge Caliber, which did it's job for a number of years, is no longer able to do the job we needed, and we're "grown ups" now so time to get our first nice, real car. I am an engineer which means that I have about four spreadsheets analyzing each model, price, specs, ect... After 9 test drives we settled on one of two vehicles - the Ford Explorer Limited 4WD and the GMC Acadia Denali AWD. We went back, did an extended test drive, and the Explorer beat out the Acadia hands down. There are just too many more features on the Explorer and it functions so much better. But of course you all know that so on to my question.

After months of research and deliberation we are ready to buy a fully loaded (with the exception of premium paint) Explorer Limited, but now I'm hearing that we are in crunch time to get a 2014 (some resources say the deadline has already passed, others that it will go until 04/16). I can't find ANY information on the 2015, except that builds will start on either 06/01 OR 07/01 (conflicting reports). Is there anything worth waiting for? Not that we aren't happy with the 2014 options, but at this point in the game does it pay to wait for another month? We live in CT so the absolutely crucial part is to get it before winter (assuming this one ever ends) but other than that we can be patient if necessary. Also, if anyone has info onto the features, is there expected to be a major price increase (> $750 for fully loaded)?

Thanks,
Steve

2014 orders did in fact stop on 3/14/14 with production ending at the end of May. 2015 production begins on 6/2. There are no changes to the Limited model between the two so there is no point in waiting for the '15 unless you want one of the new colors.

If you need the vehicle ASAP I'd go to your Ford dealer with all the specs/options you want and ask them to order it. Then you will know if you can get a 2014 or not. If you can't you'll just have to buy off the lot, which any dealer can do a search of Ford Stores within (x) miles of your location in about 30 seconds time.

I ordered my 2014 Sport on March 17, 2014 and received my VIN at the end of that week. Lots of conflicting information about order deadlines...just find out yourself.

Only thing that would be "desirable" on my 2014 Sport that is standard on 2015 is the body color door handles.

Back