Which Tire for snow? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which Tire for snow?

Alright, during the winter I hunt Mountain Lions, and I would like to know which tire would be the best for moderate off-roading in the snow. Snow levels could be anywhere from 3 inches to a foot and a half. The two tires that I was looking at are the BFG All terrrains and the BFG mud terrains. Also I would like to know WHY either of these tires is good or bad, or if there is a better tire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome To The Forum! I'll tell ya, I got the BFG T/A All-terrains and we got some good snow this year and I've gotten places nicely with those tires, I love'em. But also have I think they're called Goodyear wintermark on our 96 explorer and they seem to do just as well in the snow. Paid around I think $350.00 for the wintermarks new.

I agree with the BFG's- I have friends that run them, and swear by them. Good agressive tread without being obnixious on road.

bfg all terains all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love mine!!!!!!!!

alright, but how are the all terrains in the mud and other terrains, and how about the mud terrains, how do they do in the snow?

Hmmm well all terains are for around 50 50 driveing city and off road.......And do well in mud not as good as the mud terains....... mud terains i have heard are also not very good in the snowl........ Butt they are a kick grass tire.........So what i am saying is that mud terain + snow = slow dowen....... all terain not as good as mud terains in mud sand rock crawling butt are a good all around tire...... and they are also a good wearing street tire........( I am sure that someone more experinced in this matter will chime in ,butt that is all i know) hope it helps Happy exploreing!!!!!!!!!
JAmes

Limited responses

Alright, during the winter I hunt Mountain Lions, and I would like to know which tire would be the best for moderate off-roading in the snow. Snow levels could be anywhere from 3 inches to a foot and a half. The two tires that I was looking at are the BFG All terrrains and the BFG mud terrains. Also I would like to know WHY either of these tires is good or bad, or if there is a better tire.

BFG or other, if you want to know how MT v. AT work in snow conditions, you could get many more responses by asking just that. Both BFGs are excellent, but will you be using these tires to get to the areas you hunt in or for recreational off-roading too? Are they part of a daily driver or is this the hunting vehicle? If you are going hunting, you will run in to muddy conditions also or mud under the snow, correct? Hauling ATVs?

BFG or other, if you want to know how MT v. AT work in snow conditions, you could get many more responses by asking just that. Both BFGs are excellent, but will you be using these tires to get to the areas you hunt in or for recreational off-roading too? Are they part of a daily driver or is this the hunting vehicle? If you are going hunting, you will run in to muddy conditions also or mud under the snow, correct? Hauling ATVs?

so I will be using this for recreational off-roading too, and it is my daily driver. And since i live in Arizona there aren't too many extremely muddy spots, but definetly some muddy areas that I will be going through. I will not be hauling atv's though.

Wow! :) That makes it a little more complex. I don't put much mileage on my vehicle, so I went from BFG AT to another brand MT - but only because I wanted to, no real purpose for the the change. The MTs are pretty quiet, but do make noise. Mine is a daily driver too... going up to hunt, I might prefer the MT only because you don't know what you'll run into with snow, mud, etc... (I don't hunt tho) but I did spend a lot of time in the mtns in No CA.

For on AND off-road snow use, yes, BFG All-Terrains. They are rated for severe snow conditions (the "snowflake on the mountain" symbol), and have the tread, siping and overall design to deal with snow and slush on paved roads, deep snow off road, and even the mud and gunk you get when snow meets dirt.

*IF* you were to use these ONLY off-road, and there would be NO use on paved roads during snow or wet weather, then sure, Mud Terrains would work good. The problem with mud terrains in snow/rain/anything on pavement is, they have little to no siping, which basically makes them like you're driving a slick tire. Not good. Anyone who's run muds during winter and driven on the road in snow will tell you it's not for the faint of heart..or those who can't deal with driving sideways.

Since it's your daily driver as well, I say BFG AT hands down...unless you just want to run a mud tire for the heck of it.

I think when the time comes I will probably go with the All-terrains and see how they work out.

Thank you everyone for all of your replies and much needed advise.

Uh, I've driven in the rain and they work just as well as ATs. There was no sideways driving... I ran an AT/MT mix from 03 to 07 w/o problems. There are many types of MT tires, not all mud swampers void of traction. The stock ATs that came w/ my 03 did not perform well in the snow and did not perform well in muddy areas. If you're up in the mountains during Winter or Spring, you know how nasty the ground can get... especially during the Spring.

I completely disagree with everyone who is saying that BFG A/Ts are good in snow. Back when I bought my last tires, I was looking into getting a set of BF's and was talked out of buying them every place I went. The reason why I was talked out of them was because I was looking for an A/T tire that was decent in snow as well as off road. While the BFG A/T is great off road, it lacks in the snow. In fact, the snow actually packs to the tire, which is what each tire place told me when I asked about how the tires performed in snow.

I can vouch for this, because I have a few friends who have mentioned this flaw with snow packing to the tire because they have owned them. One thing I found rather ironic was at my last job I had to wear anti-slip shoes, and the thread on the bottom of those shoes was similar to the tread on the BFG a/ts...and when I stepped out into snow after getting out of work, the snow always packed to the bottom of the shoe.

Get what you like, I'm just giving you my two cents and personal experience.

Snow pretty much packs into any tire. There are fields out behind our place with a crappy road that goes back to them all, I've driven back them while they were covered with snow and even when there was sleet on them and I drove fine with the BFG's and most of the time the 4X4 wasn't in but would kick in here and there.

I agree snow packs into anything that it can, shoes and tires no matter what the tread.

borrowed Zukman's post for an example...

These vehicles drive here in whatever weather... whatever's on the ground in CA, snow, sand, rain... they are not seen sliding all over and the do very well overall. Keep in mind, the driver is responsible for the control of the vehicle regardless of the tire... So if vehicles are sliding all around sideways, either the driver is to blame, the condition of the tires (driver), or there is ice on the road, which no one can avoid. I had mishaps in both the ATs and the AT/MT combo, both times, my fault. There's a pic of my MTs here... and in the Sierra, not long ago, I ran the AT/MT combo w/o problems. I run MT because I want to... simple as that. I ran ATs because I wanted to, no big deal. (It's said that MTs wear faster than ATs - if that's a concern, it's worth noting)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1885375&postcount=64

Back