Which trans comes with the 5.0 and 4.0 OHV? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which trans comes with the 5.0 and 4.0 OHV?

r37ribution

Reaction score
City, State
Ypsi/MI Y town! whoot whooot!!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 "Sport" XLT 4.0L OHV
Kinda need an answer on this quickly...by Monday the 18th :mad:

Can anyone tell me which trans comes with my 1996 4.0 OHV with the 2WD, 4WD Auto, and 4WD Low option? VIN 1FMDU34X2TUD41746

I called Ford and they said its one of these 3 A4LD/4R44E/4R55E. They said that all 3 trannys use the same parts. I had the tranny rebuilt and I can buy a lifetime warrany by Monday the 18th at the latest. Ammco said I could swap it into another explorer or any other vehicle if I bought the lifetime. I was thinking about buying a 5.0 limited explorer and I need to know if this tranny is compatible.

I noticed that the A4LD is listed on the 5.0 AND the 4.0 OHV for 1996 on The Home Page of Ntrprize but I have read that the 5.0 comes with the 4R70W but according to this web site the 5.0 uses a A4LD? Is the 4R70W the same as the A4LD?

I really just need to know if my tranny will work on a 5.0 motor (if so what years?) and what model tranny I have. I have heard that the 4R70W is 'bulletproof' is the 5R55E as reliable? A 5 speed auto sounds really nice for gas milage. Can give me some info or clarify this for me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No luck. A v6 tranny won't work with the v8. It couldn't handle the load of the v6 anyways. You have the 4r55e. I'd bet the 5r55e wouldn't outlast the 4r70w. And if you do need to rebuild the 4r70w you can beef them up.

In addition, increasingly, in these days of electronically controlled transmissions, a trannie swap is more than bolting in a different transmission. Gotta slay a host of other dragons to get em to work, even if you CAN bolt em up.

Glacier991 said:
In addition, increasingly, in these days of electronically controlled transmissions, a trannie swap is more than bolting in a different transmission. Gotta slay a host of other dragons to get em to work, even if you CAN bolt em up.
The reason I brought up the subject of a bolt on swap was because I was considering buying a 5.0 explorer and if my tranny has a lifetime warranty and its the same model as the one included in the 5.0 that I buy I would want to install my lifetime tranny in the 5.0 exploder eventually :D. so what is this A4LD that works on both the 4.0 and 5.0 in '96?

so what tranny is the A4LD? like i said according to that web site that model tranny is on both motors for 96. this would indicate that the bolt pattern for the tranny is the same on the 4.0L and the 5.0L, right? is the A4LD the same tranny as the 4r55e?
what years did the 4r70w come on the explorer? and for these years if you had the 5.0 option do you always have this tranny? or is the 5r55e also possible with the 5.0? I wanna keep my 4.0L OHV just because I've heard that this is an extremely reliable motor that has been used in numerous vehicles (the whole 'tried and tested' thing). So I'll prolly get the lifetime warranty anyways.

The v8 never came with an A4ld. The V8's always came with the 4r70w in Explorers. The a4ld is the tranny that came with the 91-94's. The 4r55e that you have now is an updated version of the a4ld, but is still junk. The 5r55e is the updated 4r55e, but I wouldn't consider it to be 100% fixed, or a bulletproof trans. The 5.0 is reliable, and as tried and true as the 4.0

Mbrooks420 said:
The v8 never came with an A4ld...The a4ld is the tranny that came with the 91-94's.
I think you should tell Ntrprize to update his info page on the explorers then...
Mbrooks420 said:
The V8's always came with the 4r70w in Explorers.
I don't mean to beat the subject to the ground but your saying that the v8 never had the 5r55e as an option? I want to make sure I don't buy a v8 with that trans.
Mbrooks420 said:
The 4r55e that you have now is an updated version of the a4ld, but is still junk.
so I should definately buy the lifetime warranty then...it did make it to 188,000 miles before needing a rebuild tho. I dunno what the average miles the 4r70w gets before needing one. do you?

Back