Whine coming from front end in 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whine coming from front end in 4.0L

Silence*

Reaction score
City, State
Canadialand!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
Sorry, I know this has most likey been posted before but posting from a blackberry, its kinda hard to do a search.

Anyways, My '02 Sport (4.0 SOHC) is starting to make this awfull whining noise. Now it happens at anything over 2,000 rpm, and gets louder the more I press down on the gas. According to my friends it sounds like its coming from the front part of my truck. It also sounds this way if you rev it in neutral standing still. What could it be?

Mileage sits at 138,000Km's (about 85K Miles). I'm only wondering because I'm about to put it for sale and would like to try and fix it before that. Thx.

power steering? fluid level where it should be? does it look black and smell burned?

Possibly, It was a lil dirty when I went for a oil change 2 weeks ago. I'll have to look in the morning cuz my hoods frozen shut. Thats what I get for washing it in -18C lol. On second thought, I haven't smelt anything burning recently...

Ha! Yeah I've done that before. Can't wait for summer! You'd only smell burned fluid when you open the reservior and may have to get close to it. Thinking more, the over 2000RPM thing kinda doesnt fit, but don't rule it out. I can't really think of what else would whine like that except a worn belt maybe.

Back