whistling noise after vehicle is turned off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whistling noise after vehicle is turned off

Brownie11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT AWD
'11 XLT is making a high-pitched whistling noise AFTER it's turned off. The noise is there for an hour or longer after turning off the engine. The dealer says it's normal (!?) -- and that it's the Transmission Control unit. Sounds odd to me; is anyone else experiencing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'11 XLT is making a high-pitched whistling noise AFTER it's turned off. The noise is there for an hour or longer after turning off the engine. The dealer says it's normal (!?) -- and that it's the Transmission Control unit. Sounds odd to me; is anyone else experiencing this?
A few members have mentioned this and there are a couple of threads already on the issue. I did an advanced seached on 'whistling' in the 2011-2013 Discussion Thread and here is one of the threads;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366498&highlight=whistling

Peter

I have experienced a high pitch whine after shut down as well. An hour seems pretty excessive though, mine only lasts about 5 minutes.

Others have reported the same thing, as well as the same noise in the Edge.

I always assumed it had to do with MFT. Edit to mention that I have 22k miles and have heard it since delivery and no negative effects (yet). I don't think its something to worry about, however an hour does seem a bit excessive.

Hi Brownie11,

I want to get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager so that they can address your concern. To get started send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

I have experienced a high pitch whine after shut down as well. An hour seems pretty excessive though, mine only lasts about 5 minutes.

Others have reported the same thing, as well as the same noise in the Edge.

I always assumed it had to do with MFT. Edit to mention that I have 22k miles and have heard it since delivery and no negative effects (yet). I don't think its something to worry about, however an hour does seem a bit excessive.

Hi jrmexplorer,

If it starts to bother you, I recommend swinging by your dealership so they can take a look. You can combine it with an oil change or other scheduled maintenance visit so you don't have to make a special trip. Keep me posted!

Crystal

Were you able to find the source of the high frequency whistle? My 2013 Sport has the same problem. Today, while investigating it, I disconnected the battery negative terminal and the sound stopped. As soon as I reconnected it, the sound returned. Listening from below, I was unable to identify a specific location of origin.

If your dealer locates the source, I'd appreciate knowing. Much easier to take to my dealer with a solution than waiting for them to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks,

The dealer hasn't figured it out yet. But more oddly, we noticed that when you put the shifter into Park, the red box isn't lighting up around "P". If you toggle or click the shifter lock mechanism a few times, the red box will light up. If the red box is lit when the vehicle is turned off, then there's no whistling noise under the hood! Dealer is thinking they'll replace the shifter but are checking with Ford.

Sounds like a short with grounding problem.

... My 2013 Sport has the same problem. Today, while investigating it, I disconnected the battery negative terminal and the sound stopped. As soon as I reconnected it, the sound returned. Listening from below, I was unable to identify a specific location of origin...

Hi langla4,

I want to get your regional customer service manager looped in by escalating your case. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work on your case.

The dealer hasn't figured it out yet. But more oddly, we noticed that when you put the shifter into Park, the red box isn't lighting up around "P". If you toggle or click the shifter lock mechanism a few times, the red box will light up. If the red box is lit when the vehicle is turned off, then there's no whistling noise under the hood! Dealer is thinking they'll replace the shifter but are checking with Ford.

Thanks for the update, Brownie11! Keep us posted.

Sounds like a short with grounding problem.

Great suggestion, Blue Raptor. Thanks!

Crystal

I have the exact same issue. It only occurs when the vehicle is in accessory mode and is a very high pitched sound.

The sound comes from the front to the vehicle's left at the bottom portion of the engine compartment. It appears to be coming from either some electical connection, or from what looks like some kind of a/c related "pipe".

If I listen really carefully their may be a hissing sound along with it, but now entirely sure? Either way, it doesn't sound good.

The service dept at my dealership had it for 4 hours and told me that they don't know what it is.

I have the exact same issue. It only occurs when the vehicle is in accessory mode and is a very high pitched sound.

The sound comes from the front to the vehicle's left at the bottom portion of the engine compartment. It appears to be coming from either some electical connection, or from what looks like some kind of a/c related "pipe".

If I listen really carefully their may be a hissing sound along with it, but now entirely sure? Either way, it doesn't sound good.

The service dept at my dealership had it for 4 hours and told me that they don't know what it is.

Hi vmons,

I can look into your case and see if I can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest!

Crystal

To close the story, the dealer replaced the shifter and things have been fine ever since.

Our explorer sport has 200 miles on it. Noticed this the same day we drove it home. If I put it in accessory mode it's that very annoying high pitch ring/whine noise. Driving me crazy!

Anybody know if there's a fix and not just having to replace parts? Something loose or not connected all the way?

Our explorer sport has 200 miles on it. Noticed this the same day we drove it home. If I put it in accessory mode it's that very annoying high pitch ring/whine noise. Driving me crazy!

Anybody know if there's a fix and not just having to replace parts? Something loose or not connected all the way?

This is yet another undocumented feature Ford has included your vehicle for no additional charge. I too have this high pitch whistle which seems comes on when accessory mode is engaged.

Back