• Register Today It's free!

Whistling Noise

bvioland

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 EB V6 2WD
I have a '97 Explorer with the 4.0 OHV engine. Whenever I have the accelerator pedal down about 1/4 of the way, a high-pitched whistling noise comes from the engine (sounds like air coming out a tiny hole or something.) It does it no matter what gear the car is in. The X runs fine, however. Any one have any idea what the whistle is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a question... what do you have for an air cleaner? and is it mounted in the factory housing?

When I switched to an open KKM filter configuration in place of my K&N in the housing I noticed I got a whistle with the accelerator at a certain position. Just an idea.

bvioland said:
(sounds like air coming out a tiny hole or something.)
It might be. Check everywhere air goes in (everything from the air cleaner box up to the intake) and exhaust goes out. A little rust hole in an exhaust pipe or muffler can whistle. Also check vaccuum hoses.

There are no exhaust holes or vacuum leaks...but I do have a K&N Filtercharger kit on the X. That looks to be the source of the whistle...thanks.

99% likely that is what the whistle is from

Back