302 swap speed sensor issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 swap speed sensor issue

Good day,
I have the need for speed but unfortunately I don’t know how fast I am going. I have a 302 swapped 2 door sport with no working Speedo I was wondering if anyone can help me. It’s a
97 body
00 5.0 engine and ecu
04 mustang transmission 4r70
8:8 rear
i did the swap 5 years ago, I remember I had to pin out the tach in order to get it to read correctly
but I don’t remember having to do it for the Speedo.
it has the sensor in the rear. I swapped it out with a new one but had no effect.

im new to the forums and was not sure were to post this but since the truck was built with the idea of speed implied I figure I would come here.
thank you.

4C804FE0-766E-491D-8194-DDF9EC780AC3.jpeg

C2D50D30-B195-421D-9F39-9AB1BDB23220.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need a Dakota digital speedometer interface!
Your 97 sport instrument cluster used to get its speed sensor signal (vss) from the transmission tailhousing mounted speed sensor. Now with the 00 computer and 04 trans there is no more vss in the tailhousing.
The speed sensor in the rear axle is for the abs brakes

The Dakota digital device ($100) can take the abs signal and convert it to run your speedometer

I have a full write up of how to make it work
Do you get a p0500 code for no speed signal to the computer? The v8 pcm is also looking for this signal

Nice truck!

You need a Dakota digital speedometer interface!
Your 97 sport instrument cluster used to get its speed sensor signal (vss) from the transmission tailhousing mounted speed sensor. Now with the 00 computer and 04 trans there is no more vss in the tailhousing.
The speed sensor in the rear axle is for the abs brakes

The Dakota digital device ($100) can take the abs signal and convert it to run your speedometer

I have a full write up of how to make it work
Do you get a p0500 code for no speed signal to the computer? The v8 pcm is also looking for this signal

Nice truck!
Yes I do get the no speed signal code.

would you be able to link me the write up please? I would love to have a working Speedo =)

and thank you.

They are $100
Or so

You will tap into the speed sensor signal wire at your abs pump and use this as the input for the Dakota box. The Dakota is then setup to run the speedometer and you wire it directly to the dash cluster.

The Dakota is Bluetooth enabled allowing you to fine tune your speed whole you drive or if you change tire sizes

I have installed many of these now so if you have questions

Your v8 computer will be so much happier with the vss signal and your trans will finally run properly

They are $100
Or so

You will tap into the speed sensor signal wire at your abs pump and use this as the input for the Dakota box. The Dakota is then setup to run the speedometer and you wire it directly to the dash cluster.

The Dakota is Bluetooth enabled allowing you to fine tune your speed whole you drive or if you change tire sizes

I have installed many of these now so if you have questions

Your v8 computer will be so much happier with the vss signal and your trans will finally run properly
it says on summit “not for use with abs sensors or systems”
that Is the other issue I still have with the swap is the abs light being on. Outside from all other possibilities such as a defective abs sensor, could the Speedo be in relation to the abs light?
i have not pulled any abs codes.

Exactly do not install it on the abs side of things
The way it is wired the abs is not effected
We are simply using the signal from the speed sensor as our source
We are not modifying the signal sent to the abs in any way
You are only sending a signal to the speedometer and cruise control
I have installed quite a few of these now

Your scanner should be able
To access the abs codes

Back