Who has a powerstroke F250?

Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
I've been thinking about a F-250 powerstroke diesel just for a daily driver and road trips, no real work or towing.

I was just wondering if anyone uses a powerstroke as their daily driver to go to work, get groceries and such.

Although diesel is a but more in cost, I figure I would get a bit better gas mileage than my explorer so the cost of fuel difference would be small, I think.

The 7.3 appears to be the best for its durability and longevity.

Just seems like a nice truck to ride around in, plenty of room in the cab to stretch out in, even with all your friends in the truck, unlike an explorer.

I dont fall for the radical environmentalism crap, so I would have no guilt driving a truck like that to go get groceries with just me in it.

Just wondering what all yall thoughts are on a diesel as a daily driver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After reading your requirements -- grocery, friends, room to stretch, better gas mileage than an Explorer -- sounds like you need a mini van!

I average about 8 mpg driving the 2.5 miles to work. If I drove about 25 miles one way to work my mileage would go up to 15-17. My last 2 road trips I averaged 20 mpg over 1500 miles and 22 over 760 miles. Both trips were unloaded at 62mph.

Loaded up with about 1000# in the bed and pulling about 6000# at 62mph netted me an average of 13mpg over 1500 miles. I had a high of 16mpg on the flats with a low of about 10mpg through the mountains.

Also if you plan on getting one, stick with a '99.5 or 2000 model year to get the forged rod motors. Sometime in 2001 they switched to the weaker powdered metal rods.

You can also check out powerstrokenation(dot)com for more info.

After reading your requirements -- grocery, friends, room to stretch, better gas mileage than an Explorer -- sounds like you need a mini van!

haha- yeah, right.

I use to get pretty decent mileage in my old company F250 (also an '04). I towed my Explorer all the way to Truckhaven because it was better mpgs than just driving the Explorer down. Right now where I live diesel is about $.20 cheaper than gasoline too.

But they get you in registration fees! $400+ for mine this year.

But they get you in registration fees! $400+ for mine this year.
*cough* .. *cough * *mini van*
Sorry I caught the swine flu, caughing all over the place here.

:p:

What MPG are you getting on the 04 Section? Because your Explorer is totally different than Hitchhikingmike's so the difference between his Explorer and a PowerStroke's might not be that significant. I only get low teens on my shuttle bus (but its got a bigger body than a pickup truck).

$18 for an oil filter and 15 quarts of oil. Not cheap to maintain. I put roughly 20,000 a year on my truck, I used to tow roughly 8000 miles a year towing, now I put probably close to 2-3,000 miles a year towing.

Only reason I still own my powerstroke is
1) it's paid for
2) I pass cars on uphill climbs even when I'm towing
3) I like it better than anything out there to drive

What I don't like
1) expensive oil changes/fuel filters
2) it has spent a lot of time at the dealer
3) $3,000 transmission overhauls typically needed in older super dutys
4) diesel price is $.20 more than regular unleaded here.

Honesltly, the 5.4 triton F250 would be a good candidate for what you are going to do and still would tow if you ever put it up to the challenge.

Back