• Register Today It's free!

WHOA - speedometer problem

willfield2

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 AWD
so I'm dropping a friend off today and when I near the house I start easing on the brakes causally and all of a sudden my speedometer starts bouncing up to like 100mph....it sputters down to 85, 75, 65, back up to like the 'D', then it came back to the actual 15 mph I was doing...Since then, it has been doing it very randomly, sometimes when I hit the brakes, sometimes when I just let off the gas, it's very odd....does my speedo just need recalibrating or is it the speedo cable? anyone else had this problem?

oh yea, might have nothing to do with it, but I was running on about 50 cents of gas (I'm broke what can I say) and the engine was kindof sputtering when I would step on the gas...don't think that would make the speedometer go haywire but ya never know.

-Will

totally not related to the topic, but i see you have a bass tube, is that nice? my friend wants one in his civic dx hatchback

the bass tube is amazing...when I first was looking at subwoofers I wasn't really looking to buy some big boom system so I decided to buy it ($230).....when I got done installing (2 hours-relatively easy) I was BLOWN away at the sound coming out of the tube. I have heard other systems, some costing up to a thousand dollars and the bass tube sounds just the same if not better than the other systems....I totally reccomend it. People complain that it gets in the way if you're trying to pack a full car but it is plug-in plug-out, you can take it out of your car with ease. Beofre you accuse me of being a salesman I will give you some cons....The tube doesn't know it's own limits, I have the gain turned up halfway at the most, if you turn it up more it will start clicking...But thats easy to prevent, just don't set the gain too high...other than that it's fantastic

There are 2 common things that can cause that..

1 is a bad speedo core.. (the metal thing in the speedo cable.. the part that actually turns).. If it is dirty/sticky it can do that...

More likely is the speedo needs to be cleaned.. To clean it you need to pull it out of the dash board.. (its not that bad.. I can do it in <10 minutes now).. BUT.. you need a speedo shop to do the cleaning.. if you don't do it right.. it wont' work agian.. There is a cup that converts the mechanical work (cable) to electircal (what makes the speedo move) that gets dirty..

When I had mine done and I pulled out the guage myself it was <1/2 hour labor (I get it free at a friends speedo shop).. Total time for him to do it would have been about $150 (that includes shop supplies and labor)..

~Mark

Back