Whoops, then tug-o-war | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whoops, then tug-o-war

I got a call from my neighbor asking if I can stop by his shop on my way home...

I get there and see that they got a 1/2 ton chevy pickup on the car trailer, but it went too far.. the front tires went right off the end of the trailer.

We hooked up the chain and attempted to pull the truck back onto the trailer. Intead of pulling the truck onto the trailer I pulled the truck on the trailer and the dodge pickup it was connected to while the dodge was in park with the e-brake on.

We then tried it again, this time with the driver of the dodge holding the brakes, I just spun 3 tires (rear locker only). At this point it was time for rue-golberg to appear. We had someone get in the pickup and hold the brakes, we then put a floor jack under each front tire (so the centerline of the tire was at or above the trailer instead of 8" below). I then pulled the pickup right back onto the trailer...

I did ask how they got the pickup on like that and aparently they couldn't push the pickup up the ramps and the fuel pump is dead (and so is the battery on the truck) and the winch on the front of the trailer is bad (slips when you put a load on it).. To get the truck on the trailer they pushed it as far as they could (got the front tires up) and then with the pickup in park and with the e-brake on they backed the trailer under the truck, but didn't get stopped in time.

Here is a pic I took (not very good).. we were getting interesting looks from people when I was spinning 3 tires (I didn't do it for long, but it was loud while they spun)

tug-o-war.jpg

~Mark

Sweet....Did you leave 3 little rubber patches?

I left a 12" wide patch from my front left tire.. and my rear tires left an interesting black streak. When the tires were spinning my rear end scooted left about 1 foot. The 2nd time I spun the tires I didn't budge..

I'm sure I lost a few thousand miles from my tires.. spinning on asphault(sp?) is hard to the tires/truck. I was expecting to hear a bang from a breaking u-joint (My front ones are still stock/orig). If they did break, I'd have an excuse to tear apart the front end.. :)

~Mark

Back