• Register Today It's free!

Why Are We Not In Magazines?

big351bronc

Reaction score
City, State
St. Simons Island, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Through the years, Ive been reading as many Off Road magazines as I can. However, since I acquired my Explorer, I have paid attention to the Readers Rides sections. It is very seldom that I see an Explorer in there. Many of you have awesome rides that could be feature trucks. I know they are built to roll, not show, but I think that some people should send some pictures of their rides in to let everyone know about Explorers. Hopefully one day Ill be able to send my ride in, but not before I spend some more money of her.

However, if Ive been missing something in these magazines, let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm waiting to be a full blown feature or bust

that said- i have seen a couple of explorers in readers rides over the last 4 or 5 years in the magazines. I get street and off-road oriented magazines and i don't htink i've seen any in the off-road type ones though.

rick was on the cover and the centerfold in feb of 01 off-road magazine
off-road has since also featured ricks truck in shows

several magazines have given credit to the ford explorer....

not sure how i forgot about Rick's their, i guess its just so modified i hardly think of it as an explorer. sorry.

there was also an explorer recently in ora (which is 4 wheel parts magazine) that had a little blurb on an explorer in a mud pit full page.... althoguh the caption was kinda sucky... it said something like: this explorer owner beat the crap out of his tough little truck that day.... good thing he didnt do it a second day though it wouldnt have lasted

Well Im glad to hear that. I guess I just get sick and tired seeing all of these Jeeps in there all of the time. I guess its b/c they have a ton of after market parts.

I think a lot has to do with the history of each vehicle:

Jeep was built for militarty, for traversing off road.

Explorer was built for mommy to get groceries in the snow.

And with a schetchy reputation, like the Explorer, that didn't help either, although you never hear anything bad about the Jeep, persey.

Sometimes it just takes inviting the editors to an Explorerforum run like all the other clubs do...

Expecially 4-wheel parts will run our stuff if we get it to them - they ran the Rough Rangers club that I also participate with - and they are not a large outfit.

SVO said:
I think a lot has to do with the history of each vehicle:

Jeep was built for militarty, for traversing off road.

Explorer was built for mommy to get groceries in the snow.

And with a schetchy reputation, like the Explorer, that didn't help either, although you never hear anything bad about the Jeep, persey.

I think that is more of a reason to put modified Explorers in magazines. Think about it, youre leaving Kroger and see a lot of Explorers with soccer ball stickers on them, then going down the road is on sittin on 35"s. Its a vehicle with great versatility as well as luxury.

Back