Why does my engine wanna die when I Rev it up, | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why does my engine wanna die when I Rev it up,

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Rev it up, or take off too fast?

Like if im idling, and I wanna rev it a little, when i press the gas pedal, kinda far the engine will like basically almost die, then rev up just fine...

I was driving it around the other day (Yes i know, bad idea, no ins and all that yet lol) but I was leaving krogers, started it up, took off, slowed down to look, then tried to take off and it stalled on me...

What would make it do that, and what do I need to do....

I can get a video up if needed. Let me know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first thought is a fuel delivery problem -- the fuel system isn't keeping up with engine demand under those conditions. 1st thing I might do would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what is happening.

2nd thought -- this kind of sounds like what mine was doing when a vacuum hose fell off.

Hmm...im not to "engine" inclined...what hoses and where should I check?

And where could i get a fuel pressure gauge?

First thing to always do is resolve any check engine lights. I think there are steps to clean you're MAF, change your fuel filter, change plugs, they might be melted, change the air cleaner if it's dirty. Does it do it in neutral when you rev it up? Maybe it's a tranny issue also.. I'm just tossing stuff out.

No CEL though, and yes im mainly talking about it being in neutral.
It does do it in drive though, 100% sure its nothing todo with the tranny

There a video in the link in my signature on how to do a fuel filter change. Sounds like fuel delivery to me too.

Hmm...im not to "engine" inclined...what hoses and where should I check?
Driver's side rear of the upper intake is a bunch of "ports" for vacuum hoses to attach to. Most of the vacuum hoses come off of this "octopus". Check there and trace the hoses out to make sure everything looks connected.

And where could i get a fuel pressure gauge?
Harbor Freight has a cheap gauge. Any self-respecting auto parts store should be able to get one (I bought mine from Pep Boys).

Are the fuel gauges easy to put on or whatever?
Would I be able to rent one from AutoZone or Murrays?

And ill check those hoses and whatnot later, how much do fuel filters go for?

Ahh, autozones are 4.99$

That sound about right?

Fuel pressure test gauges are easy to put on: they simply screw onto the Schrader valve test port on the passenger side of the fuel rail.

You may be able to rent/borrow a gauge from a parts store, I don't know. A quick phone call should answer that question.

That's about right for a filter.

Yep, picked a filter up earlier before work at AutoZone for 7.99$

Gonna read up A TON on how to put it on then go do it here in a little bit.

I doubt it would be my fuel filter....if it looks this new

Could it still be the filter though?

SANY0140.jpg

SANY0141.jpg

SANY0142.jpg

Should I still replace it with the one I bought?
If not then ill take it back and put the 8$ towards the next idea...lol

Heres a vid to show you what im talking about

Age isn't always a good predictor of filter life. In theory, if your gas is clean enough, you'd never have to replace the filter. On the other hand, one tank of very dirty gas (or something contaminating the tank), could be enough to plug it up.

In theory, you could see if a clogged filter is a possibility with a fuel pressure gauge. If fuel pressure remains high under load, that suggests that the filter isn't clogged. If fuel pressure drops under load, that suggests a possible restriction (clogged filter is a good candidate) in the fuel supply line. If you really want to save that $8 for something else, I'd suggest a fuel pressure test to see if fuel delivery is a problem or not.

Replace the filter. I should probably do mine here soon. Once that filter completely plugs up you don't drive. I pulled into Holiday one time. Filled up and didn't clear the parking lot before the car died. It was a clogged fuel filter. Not saying this is your problem but replacing a fuel filter is good maintainance.

this happened in my navajo and fixing it was as simple as changing the fuel filter

Alright, ill try and tackle that tonight then, I still havent changed it.
I SeaFoamed it, then it was absolutely fine for the day, then I started her up again a couple days later and it does it again.

Back