• Register Today It's free!

WHY IS THE 1997 XLT UNIQUE

Bruce-L

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Everything I have looked into suggests that the '97 XLT 4x4 is unique among explorers but I can't find out why. What makes it different from other years and whay are there no suspension kits for the front end?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in 1997 the SOHC engine debuted (sp) you can modify a ranger kit to lift it....

Well technicially there isn't, but you can modify either the Trailmaster 98 Ranger kit, 98 Explorer kit, or the Superlift 98 Ranger kit. How do I know?

Look

View

Ray,
you may have answered this before, but, did you but a lift "kit" or kinda buy all your stuff separate. I see you have trailmaster and some other different suspension stuff. Also, with your flares...did you check out the Xenon ones before you went with bushwacker? Are they the same extension 2" or so?
Thanks

damn you ray. i hate being jealous, but i love your rig.

Tekeman,
Because the Ranger kit uses a SOA set up, I didn't want to go that way, so I bought Skyjacker 4" lifted springs to stay SUA. Other than that and modifying the rear torsion bar brackets, It's a Trailmaster 98 Ranger kit.
Just my opinion, if you are going to do a suspension lift, go with the superlift kit, as it uses new extended steering knuckles and not a knuckle extender and steering slide. I don't like the steering slide.
I did have to get a new front Drive shaft, but that was because I also installed a Atlas II T-case. I checked out the Xenons, and I actually like them better, but They also cost more. The Bushwackers are ABS plastic and don't bend alot. If I get new ones, some time in the future, they will be Xenons.

Gabe,
I'll thake that as a compliment. Thank you. :)

Back