Why wont my truck start after its been running a while? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why wont my truck start after its been running a while?

P1443 is usually a rust hole in the filler pipe under the rubber hose connection, a broken or missing hose clamp on the filler pipe, or cracks in the plastic filler neck where the gas cap closes.

Look at the filler pipes in the left rear wheel well. Confirm there are 2 black hoses with clamps tightly connected to the 2 metal pipes. This is an area that collects lots of mud, salt, and grime. Clean off the pipes well and look for any blisters or bubbles in the paint indicating rust underneath. Then take the gas cap off and carefully look with a flashlight at the plastic.

If you find damage recommend to replace the assembly ($100), but can get good temporary results using chemical resistant steel putty expoxy to fill in the cracks in the plastic. New clamps with some rtv sealer can take care of potential leaks at the pipe/hose connection. Rust holes are repairable when removed from the truck (simple job), but really should be replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P1443 is usually a rust hole in the filler pipe under the rubber hose connection, a broken or missing hose clamp on the filler pipe, or cracks in the plastic filler neck where the gas cap closes.

Look at the filler pipes in the left rear wheel well. Confirm there are 2 black hoses with clamps tightly connected to the 2 metal pipes. This is an area that collects lots of mud, salt, and grime. Clean off the pipes well and look for any blisters or bubbles in the paint indicating rust underneath. Then take the gas cap off and carefully look with a flashlight at the plastic.

If you find damage recommend to replace the assembly ($100), but can get good temporary results using chemical resistant steel putty expoxy to fill in the cracks in the plastic. New clamps with some rtv sealer can take care of potential leaks at the pipe/hose connection. Rust holes are repairable when removed from the truck (simple job), but really should be replaced.

oh man. i know there are 2 black lines that run through my left rear wheel well. i always assumed they had something to do with the e brake because it doesnt work very well. one of the lines is kinda bent around the other one awkwardly. here is a picture.
truck-2.jpg

are these the lines you are talking about? if so, i am definitely wanting to fix them now. i never cared before but if its something to do with fuel, then its a much bigger priority...

I belong to www.fordrangerforums.com, and a member had the same exact problem -- vehicle starts cold, but after warming, will not start or vehicle stalls. He found out through process of elimination that the thermostat was faulty.

Two things:
- Those are not the black lines poster is refering to - the ones he is talking about connect the end of the fuel filler pipe to the gas tank and EVAP cannister - they are bigger.

- P0141 code says the heater circuit is bad for the Bank 1, Sensor 2 O2 sensor. This will be the rear one on the passenger side. Usually it's the sensor itself that is bad; other possibiltiy is a break in the wiring harness to the sensor.

Two things:
- Those are not the black lines poster is refering to - the ones he is talking about connect the end of the fuel filler pipe to the gas tank and EVAP cannister - they are bigger.

- P0141 code says the heater circuit is bad for the Bank 1, Sensor 2 O2 sensor. This will be the rear one on the passenger side. Usually it's the sensor itself that is bad; other possibiltiy is a break in the wiring harness to the sensor.

yeah i figured out today that there is supposed to be a sensor there. i dont even have any pipe after the catalytic converter so it makes sense as to why that code is coming up.

so today i took the truck back over to auto zone today at lunch. the only code that is still up after replacing the CTS is p1131 (minus the #2 o2 sensor...). any ideas on how to fix it??

Back