• Register Today It's free!

Wifes 2001 EXPL XLS

lt1pnyklr

Reaction score
City, State
simpsonville sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLS
My wifes explorer has 85k miles on it roughly. Im wondering when the first tune up is due on this model and what all is involved other than plugs and wires? Im also considering using SEAFOAM for the first time on it due to carbon problems. A few months back we were having trouble with the car not idling properly. I used some carb cleaner on the tb and its been idling fine since. Insertion points seem to be something people cant agree on. To keep things simple I'll probably try the bb vacuum line. Should I wait to do the SEAFOAM around the time of then tune up and oil change and any diagrams or how tos would be great. I may try the tune up myself if I have time.

WOW someone used the "search" button, welcome to the site. You got it plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, flush the rad, trans, check the diff/s. Oh yes seafoam is great on carbon, that sould be a good start. What motor do you have? Most guys use motorcraft stuff on here.

I figured the trans and rad. fluids would need to be flushed as well.

I know on the newer Expl. they dont need a tune up until 100k miles or so. Is this also true on the 01 models?

Her Expl. is the v6 model. Should I wait and do all this around the same time as the next oil change, especially if Im going to use Seafoam?

I'd say yes, wait until you're about to do a tune up and oil change to use the Seafoam. Everything I've read says that there will be gunk in the oil from it, so better safe than sorry.

Back