Will a engine fit in rear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a engine fit in rear?

gnx547

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 GT
I need to buy a 302 engine and wondering if it will fit nicely in the rear in a 99 Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume you're talking about hauling it home... yes I think will fit, but it's a lot of weight on your rear springs. plan for a slow ride home.

Dont see why it wouldnt't. Shouldn't effect the ride anything noticeable either, I put a 250lb dirtbike on a hitch carrier and about 100~150lbs of junk in the back. Makes some corners kinda sketchy just because the front is lighter, but it aint bad.

I put a 440 Chrysler in mine no problem.

The problem will be getting it in there. you cant use a forklift because the fork rails will hit your tail gate. If the engine is fully dressed it will most likely leave you with 200mm from the top of the engine to the roof of your truck. So it will be tight using an engine crane.

If you do manage to get it in there let us know how you you got it in there, then I wont have to hire a trailor every time I have to pick up an engine.

You might be able to squeeze it in, but don't do it..... unless you hate your Explorer or something. You'll end up making a huge mess inside, and you'll probably end up tearing up your headliner too.

There is really no good way to tie it down either, as the Explorer is not a pickup bed. So, you might also end up taking out your interior trim, or even the glass, when the motor ends up sliding around/shifting.

Back