Will not crank the engine, starter doesn't respond, just clicks at relay. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will not crank the engine, starter doesn't respond, just clicks at relay.

Superrcharge

Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, S.C. 29045
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Ford Ranger
I have a 1997 Mazda 2300 pickup. The starter doesn't respond at all. It has a new starter on it and a new alternator also. All it does is click at the starter relay. I have traced a god bit of wiring out and cannot find a short as of yet. I am using a Power Probe tool called the Hook which is an excellent tool for this kind of work. The ignition switch and wiring seems to be all right. It has a start wire and a run wire plus a hot wire all the time when the ignition is in the off mode. I have found one fusible link and it is good. I know there is 2 more but haven't been able to locate them as far as the wiring schematic illustrates. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is another wire from starter solenoid on fender to starter it is 14 guage check that one
roscoe

Just an easy check, jump the solenoid (drivers side fender under the hood) with a screwdriver. The issue with mine at the moment is the contacts inside the solenoid are bad/dirty and it's causing the same issue. The solenoid click sounds exactly like the relay, but if it is the solenoid, the screwdriver trick should start it right up

IMHO if you had a short in the starter motor circuit, you would have blown the main fuse. Since your relay clicks, and you haven't noted total loss of electricity, I doubt it's a short.

It could be minor arcing somewhere that's bleeding current away from the starter motor... but not enough to blow a fuse.

Have you verified the integrity of the starter motor cable for corrosion, frayed connections, etc.?

there is another solenoid on the starter the 14 guage wire from fender mounted solenoid to the starter triggers the starter motor solenoid.
roscoe

Back