Will the 20s fit the new truck? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will the 20s fit the new truck?

I current drive a 98 v8 AWD mountaineer. I plan on buying 20's for it very soon (got a new job and make mad loot now). My question is if I buy 20's for this truck will they fit the 02 mountaineer v8 AWD? That is my mother current truck and if something was to happen will they fit?

Also what is the recommand backspacing and bolt pattern for the mountaineer. The rim in question is the giovanna attacks. Sorry for asking such newbie stuff, but since I just bought the truck and my lack of time due to the new job and school any help would be greatly appreciated. I believe the rim is 20x9.5 with 275/45/20 GY tires.

Thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search Feature!

I just recently asked a very similar question-
see this thread: Dead Link Removed

Just make sure the wheel is a 5x4.5 bolt pattern and also make sure (since you have AWD- the wheel is meant for a RWD Truck/Suv.
This will ensure it has enough backspacing so it doesnt rub anything.

9.5 seems a little wide- im not sure i would want to run a wheel that wide- while the wheel itself might not rub the tires probably will.

The giovanna should fit but it is a bit wide- backspacing is fine and so is the bolt pattern.

There has been several tire debates recently (again use the search feature) Mainly Compairing the 275/45/ GY w/ a Toyo 265/50 - or similar performance treaded tire over the highway/allseason GY tires.

IF its still MOMS truck- dont put 20's on it yet, she will probably pull too close a curb or something of that nature and get yer rims scraped.

mom doesnt get the rims... im gunna try and buy the truck off her when she gets a new one ;]

Kinda curious Bruce what you did to the 2001 Mustang GT to get under a 14 second ET. Professionals can only get a best time of 14 seconds flat. You have a blower or something on it?

a GT with a blower would run WAY faster than that... i have a friend with a 99 GT with bolt-ons and he ran a 13.2 on Nitto drag radials...

Suuuuure he did. I own a 99 Mustang GT with a Borla cat-back, Jet chip, and a K&N with the air silencer removed. As great as some DR's are for hook-up, I don't think you are running low 13's. Nice try though

um, i was there, and i know what im talking about. i have also driven the car. i am not some young punk who talks ****. i didnt want to get off topic, but now i will. car is a 99 GT and has mac control arms, KYB's, eibac springs, long tube headers, off road X pipe, flows, some kind of stage 3 clutch(dont remember brand), some kind of cold air intake, ProM mass air, 65mm throttle body, Bullitt intake, 24lb. injectors, underdrive pulleys, Cobra brake swap, a custom-burned Diablo chip, and 3:73 gears. alot of bolt ons, but bolt ons none the less. first time we went to the track, he got a 13.5 in 95 degree heat and with 35lbs of air in the drag radials (he forgot to check). second time we dropped pressure to 20lbs, temps were around low 80's, and he ran a 13.28something. and BTW, he can drive. first trip he made around 10 passes, all but one with a .500-ish reaction time. second trip, ran i believe 8 passes, and again all but one a 500. you are correct, the drag radials are good, but he still doesnt hook that well. we are thinking about swapping the rear brakes one weekend so he can run 15's with slicks. i figure this will put him in 13.1-13.0 range...

i have never talked **** on this board, and i have never posted anything that i cant back up. ask anyone here. this is not such an outrageous claim, as a 99-up with that much crap on it SHOULD run low 13's with a good driver. if you think that a blower is needed to make a GT run low 13's, then i suggest you learn how to drive. he now works opposite shifts than me, so if you would like i can get a time slip, scan it, and e-mail it to you in about a week. i would never post something that i made up. if you are ever in our area, look us up one weekend. we will go to Red River Raceway (in Shreveport, LA) and i will gaurantee you a 13.2, but bring a $1k with you, and gas money home...

the 13.750 was with street tires CAI Custom chip burned by JDM of freehold NJ and exhaust.

I resently got 3.73s and a NX 100 shot kit but didnt hook the kit up yet.

ill repost numbers when i run another good time.

Bruce, damn fine time you had with minimal mods. I guess you and James T can just race better than I can. But I will stop with Mustang replies since this is an Explorer site. So sorry if I offended anyway. And BTW, either of you participate in the MustangWorld or Stangnet forums? Both are real good

Stangnet...

So will wheels that fit my 98 AWD fit the 02 AWD with no problems?

im also lookin into seeing if they come in 20x9

Back