• Register Today It's free!

Will this jump starter work?

jweb1369

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I was given this jump starter as a Christmas gift. It says it is 450 amps and 900 peak amps. I have read online that you want it to have at least the amount of amps as the cold cranking amps that your battery has. The batteries for the ford explorers range from 650 to around 800. I have a 1999 sport. My question is, will this be able to jump start my truck or do I need to take it back and get the biggest one they sell?

you have to keep in mind that typically when you're using a jump box you're not trying to start with zero amps in your vehicle's battery. you might have 250-300 cranking amps, which may not be enough to start your engine by itself. the jump box adds additional cranking power to help the battery do it's job. i've had mixed results with jump boxes so i wouldn't buy one, but if someone gave me one i wouldn't throw it away. just remember to keep it charged up. my experience with really dead batteries is that the clamps on the jump box don't make a good enough connection to substitude for a regular battery connection, but that can also be true of jumper cables.

I was given this jump starter as a Christmas gift. It says it is 450 amps and 900 peak amps. I have read online that you want it to have at least the amount of amps as the cold cranking amps that your battery has. The batteries for the ford explorers range from 650 to around 800. I have a 1999 sport. My question is, will this be able to jump start my truck or do I need to take it back and get the biggest one they sell?
Just FYI, I have a Peak 300 amp jump starter that I have used to start my 96 4.0 OHV engine on a couple occasions when I have run the battery down too low to start the engine. The battery was NOT dead, just too low to crank. If it gets too low, I had to use jumper cables. The jump starter is good to start a lawn tractor a number of times with a dead battery, but not the Ex.

Back