• Register Today It's free!

Windows not working HELP!!! plz.

AWDmount5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Murrieta, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mountaineer 5.0 AWD
Hi there, I have a 1997 AWD mountaineer and all my windows stoped working... I have been looking for two days at different forums, and i still can't figure out the problem. :roll: I was wondering if anybody can help me out?

Two days ago i turned on my truck like everyother day and i lowered the windows but when i tried putting them up five minutes later they didn't work. I checked all my fuse's on the drivers side, and under the hood but i can't take out the relay fuses..(big black fuses) how can i check if those are bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the only thing that I've had affect me is when the fuse, i think 27, is taken out, the 4wd lights flash and the overhead dome lights don't work as well as the windows. That would be my only guess. Sry if this didn't help you.

Thanks for your reply, but my dome lights work, but my sunroof doesn't...

Check for power in the main wire of the LF door, and trace the power back or forward depending on whether it is good or not. All power for the windows comes from one blue/black wire in the LF door. Most often that has a break in it, in the door jamb area. Below shows most of the colors you should see for the main LF switch.

Attachments

• Projectthread069.JPG
    Projectthread069.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 242

welcome

thanks for your reply

im still trying to find the problem but i haven't tested the blue and black wire yet... this is a bit harder than i originally thought it would be. my truck is still on the :roll: side... sucks!

damn

i didn't find any cracks or anything bad on that wire, my power locks work on both doors... so theres power getting there, but being distributed properly... or maybe i need a new master switch. :roll:

I had a power window problem on my 02 ex...it was a broken ground wire in my drivers side door jam...check in there...maybe there's a wire broken
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks for your reply

thanks, but i checked my ground wire, power wire, and everything looks ok... did your power locks work on both doors? or was it only the power windows going out?

Check the window power wire(blue/black), not the door locks. That is not the same circuit.

thanks for your reply

okay ill keep you posted to see if that's the problem... thanks for your help, i really need it. haha :roll:

the wire has no power....

:roll:just to make sure since i don't have my manual on the truck, the wire is a blue with black line going threw it right? i checked that wire and no power i was wondering how do you remove the relay sensors? under the hood...

my two front windows wouldnt go up or down had power to both motors what i did was take out the window motor an replaced the plastic gear that went to shreads with three 10 mm nuts an lots of grease an they work great hope that helps

thanks for your reply

the thing with my problem is that non of my windows will go up, not even my sunroof. the locks work on both sides but no other window will go up even with their own switches.

as mentioned, you have a broken wire (BL/BK)... one likely place is under the dash (center area where the relay module is.

yes thank you, I'm under the dash right now taking it apart because i can't follow the blue wire in the door that much. very tight area to work with... ill keep you posted. thanks alot.

That picture shows a normal OEM splicing of several wires. They are crushed together like that, but should be covered in a black coating. Those are ground wires so not a problem, wrap a little tape around those.

Now that you know that the main window wire has no power, work your way back to the feeding circuit. You have confirmed that the main fuse is good yes, under hood? The power comes from under the hood, then into the dash to a relay around the steering column.

The relays hardly ever fail, I would go straight to the LF door jamb and check for power there. Use a 10mm socket to loosen the bolt on top of the huge connector in the door jamb. That will let you pull the bottom connector down and out. Peel the big boot back and find that blue/black wire. Check for power there on the truck side. That will tell you if the wire break is in the door, or farther in the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks don

What you described is what im doing right now... i have been trying to solve this for soemtime now, but i don't have that tool and i have to either go buy one or borrow from my neighbor again! haha but i will keep you guys posted if i do find the problem. thanks for all your help.

Back