Windstar overhead console install in X! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windstar overhead console install in X!

Alto said:
I've installed overhead console from a Expedition.
I'll be moving my Air Switches up later.

For now I need to hook-up the lights. When I removed the old light I had 2 wires.

Green/Orange & Black/Blue.

I know that one is the ground the other is power which is which. I keep blowing fuses trying the hunting method.

Is there another way to ground & both are power? I wish I had a meter it would make thing alot easier.
Try using a multimater or a test light to derermine which is which. It could be very possible that they are both positive and it grounds off something else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess is neither is a ground. The overhead lights are usually grounded by being screwed to the roof. Check your old dome light for a setup like this. It should give you a hint.

found out that both are positive from the truck.
got 5 wires going from the console.
used two wires for ground & the other 3 for power.
now I have map lights, but no dome light.
I also have the cargo & door lights on all the time.
trying to figure this out.

If I could get my hands on a meter or test light I just haven't been able to find one as of yet.

I guess I should ask a friend, he's a electrician on 45 million dollar Aircraft he should be able to figure out my Dome Light...might even have a multimeter.....

Alto said:
I guess I should ask a friend, he's a electrician on 45 million dollar Aircraft he should be able to figure out my Dome Light...might even have a multimeter.....

:D

For one person working alone even better than a light or to assist with a meter try using a seabelt "dinger" or door "dinger". That way, even when you can't see to tell you can hear.

Light Fixed kind of...

I found my set of 2 foot alligator jumper clips.

Used those and got the light working.

It does however perminently stay on if turned on then off in a certian sequence. Just have to reverse sequence and turn them off. That I can deal with.

Back