Winter tire shopping in Canada suck.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter tire shopping in Canada suck....

Can you drive there with those and drive back with additional without paying all duty, fees etc? According to strict requirement, you can not just buy stuff without pay all the others without 24 hour

Depends on how honest you are and where you have the tires put on! I know alot of people who drive over with old tires and drive back with brand spanking new ones. They don't claim the tires at all. They make a day trip out of it. Pick up some groceries, jam some gas in and get a set of new tires for a fraction of the cost here in Canada. Insane really. One hour away we pay 60% less for tires. We're being robbed blind on all goods and services. A pair of sneakers here that cost 150 bucks can be bought in Bangor for 60........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After shopping around ended buying the after market 18 inch rim and Bridgestone Blizzak tire in 1010 tire for 1700 CND, they have some promotion going with waive the shipping (about 120 dollar) and ordered the TPMS from Ebay and shipping them to 1010tire. Glad 1010 tire accepted this method with saved me about another 150 dollar. If you do not mind those black steel ones you will save another 400 dollar. I personally can not go with those.

Again, our neighbour get the best deal, shopping winter tire in Canada is not the best deal at all.

I've looked at various winter tires and have decided on the Cooper Weather-Master WSC. It comes in the stock 245 60 R18 size and has a nice, aggressive tread that I want for winter driving. I'll probably run them mid November to Mid March.

After shopping around ended buying the after market 18 inch rim and Bridgestone Blizzak tire in 1010 tire for 1700 CND, they have some promotion going with waive the shipping (about 120 dollar) and ordered the TPMS from Ebay and shipping them to 1010tire. Glad 1010 tire accepted this method with saved me about another 150 dollar. If you do not mind those black steel ones you will save another 400 dollar. I personally can not go with those.

Again, our neighbour get the best deal, shopping winter tire in Canada is not the best deal at all.
I've advised the dealer parts manager to get my package ready. I'll be going with the 18" steel black wheels with the centre caps. I think they'll look like the ones on the Police Interceptor. Hopefully they will also fit a 2016 Explorer should I get one after my MKT lease expire. Did you check which TPMS you required before you ordered them? I believe the Explorer TPMS has 2 different frequencies and from what I've read, the dealer has to run the VIN in order to find out which one is the correct one for your vehicle. BTW, Ford also has a full wheel cover for those black wheels.

Peter

I've advised the dealer parts manager to get my package ready. I'll be going with the 18" steel black wheels with the centre caps. I think they'll look like the ones on the Police Interceptor. Hopefully they will also fit a 2016 Explorer should I get one after my MKT lease expire. Did you check which TPMS you required before you ordered them? I believe the Explorer TPMS has 2 different frequencies and from what I've read, the dealer has to run the VIN in order to find out which one is the correct one for your vehicle. BTW, Ford also has a full wheel cover for those black wheels.

Peter

I did ask the Ford service factory, they said 2011 to 2015 are the same, then I order it on ebay which does show the TPMS is fitted all 2014 model.

I bought the Cooper Weather-Master WSC. Received them yesterday, but will not install until probably mid-November.

CopperTires-1_zps4e58b642.jpg

CooperTires-2_zps119c14e8.jpg

Checking it out on 1010tires it is the only tire I've seen so far that customer reviews have given a 5 out of 5 for 'snow' traction. All other categories are 4 or higher except the one for 'noise' where it was given 3.8. Looks like a very good performer.:thumbsup:

Peter

I bought the Cooper Weather-Master WSC. Received them yesterday, but will not install until probably mid-November.

CopperTires-1_zps4e58b642.jpg

CooperTires-2_zps119c14e8.jpg
[/QUO

Nice thread, will that size fit my 2016 Explorer Sport? What did you pay per tire?
I am looking for a nice rim as well, cant go the ugly fugly steel winter for 5 to 6 months.

At $88 for an 18" steel Interceptor wheel, I have no issue using them for the Winter.

Peter

Attachments

• PA290304_001.JPG
    PA290304_001.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 213

At $88 for an 18" steel Interceptor wheel, I have no issue using them for the Winter.

Peter
I hear you Peter, still ugly though. :) Such a beautiful vehicle and to have ugly tires for 5 or 6 months not for me.

You can get some good looking 18" alloy rims at tire rack for $150/ea. granted they aren't as strong as the steel and might bend on a big pothole but they are pretty cheap, look good and I've never had an 18" bend on me. 22s I've bent on other vehicles. The real kicker is that in the US those steel wheels are more expensive than the alloys!

You can get some good looking 18" alloy rims at tire rack for $150/ea. granted they aren't as strong as the steel and might bend on a big pothole but they are pretty cheap, look good and I've never had an 18" bend on me. 22s I've bent on other vehicles. The real kicker is that in the US those steel wheels are more expensive than the alloys!

Thanks, but that is a wonderful price for my American friends, us poor saps in Canada and the far eastern part Canada to say the least, is not a good money buy. The exchange rate with shipping..etc not worth the effort or cost.:(:ca:

Can you tell us where you got them for that price? It's $289 from Ford here in NY!
From my dealer. This is one of the few items that is substantially less expensive here. There have been members that have actually crossed the border at Windsor to buy the wheels to take back to the U.S. NOTE: The center cap wheel cover was another $20

Peter

Like someone else said, if your close enough to the states, drive down and put on winters and perhaps the place will store the summers for you. if your lucky, customs won't notice your driving on different tires.

With the exchange rate where it is right now, you might not be saving much!

Back