Wired up new brake controller. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wired up new brake controller.

First off, Thanks for the site!!! Great stuff!

When I bought the 97 X last October... it had a lowly 2" ball (with a very rounded hex nut) for a hitch.

Well... it didn't take long to fire up the angle grinder and made that ball disappear. That's when a used (Reese) class 4 hitch appeared at my door. Just got that done before the Pennsylvania temps dropped over the Winter.

Last week... a package from one of my favs arived on my door: E-trailer! And the temps in the 60's since the freezeing Winter.

Time to do some wiring and upgrade the flat four plug... (Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional) and the plug kit. Found that E-trailer had a video install available for a '96 Ex... Installed it per the video... no mods required.
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake-controller-install-ford-explorer.aspx

One side note... the install was a breeze... altho took my time... and took over 6 hours... start to finish (with tools put away). Took a break after installing the 7 wire plug, a break after running the wires (with zip ties) to the engine compartment.,... and another before tackling the under-dash install.

Did I mention that there was no lift, no jack, and only one good arm?

Thanks to the forum! Now to find me a bigger trailer...:D

Thanks for the link That is one of the projects I need to take care of in the next few weeks.

Back