• Register Today It's free!

Wont move all of the sudden

MikeRWK

Reaction score
City, State
Englishtown, Cape Breton Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I went to turn around and the truck wont move, it has tranny fluid although its dirty as hell, i can feel it engage in gear but it just slips, in reverse its just sits there and forward it tries to move a little bit. Maybe does it just need a flush + filter. Also could the transfer case be the cause of this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

well it sounds like the fluid never gets changed... maybe its a long shot, but a plugged filter could = no hydraulic pressure, hence the clutches/bands can't engage the gears.

of course if this were the case, there would have been "low" hydraulic pressure leading up to this, which would equal slow shifting and tons of slippage... which would destroy the clutches and bands..

i suppose something could have gotten in the oil pump and f'd it up... or maybe it's as simple as something in the valve body is jammed/stuck and wont move.

either way you should probably service you're next trans a little more often so the fluid doesn't get to this point, and maybe it'll last longer.

I just got the truck not long ago, i would never let anything like this happen. I'll pull the pan tm, is there anything specific i should be looking at? Also the transfer case uses a chain to drive the rearend right?

Is the tranny fluid in these the same color as regular atf? mines yellowish and has the consistancy of water which isnt good at all.

Anyone have any ideas? I am also having the same problem, except my trans fluid is good. Tries to move but will not. 4lo renders a little more movement of course but it does not go. It did it once before and it magically fixed itself, now it is stuck like it is.

trans fluid is yellowish? sounds like it may be contaminated with somethign.. such as water... this could have lead to the problem.

btw the chain in the transfer case is for the front drive only (not used in 2 wheel drive, and never drives the rear wheels)

Tranny cooler sucked the coolant into the tranny and the headgasket is gone so shes goin to the junkyard.

Tranny cooler sucked the coolant into the tranny and the headgasket is gone so shes goin to the junkyard.

That sux, sorry to hear that.

Was it a radiator failure that caused all this mess?

Thats what im thinkin anyways, ah well i found a f150 flairside with a 351 up the road from me for $200 needs a tranny rebuild.

Back