Wont move

NewAgeCustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Arvada Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Sport 4wd
Hello all,

So about a couple weeks back my wife was driving my explorer home from work and she said that it seemed like the trans was slipping in and out of gear as she was driving on the highway. Long story short she ended up getting off the freeway and she made it a couple miles down the road till she made it to a autozone parking lot and the explorer would no longer go into any gear, overdrive was flashing and every time we would put it into park it would grind endlessly. We my mind time for the trans and transfer case to come out. So we pulled it and started to tear it down. Come to find out there was not really anything inside the trans that was messed up at all but we still put in new clutch packs and bands. Right now we are having a hard time getting the intermediate band back to how it needs to be. With the band in there on the intermediate drum wont move and I am a little confused if everything is supposed to move when its in there. If you need more info to figure out whats going on please let me know. I am just very lost to why the x wouldnt move in any gear and grind every time its put into park. Thanks

Why don't you pull the code??

The torque converter may have been in lock up, this would cause grinding, it could be bad or there could be a valve body issue. If you didn't disconnect the battery the code is still stored and should be pulled.

Downside to that is I already pulled the negative and its sitting on all four jack stands and there's no transmission or transfer case in it anymore. But on the bright side we fully tore down both trans and transfer case and the transfer case was completely destroyed and the transmission is now rebuilt and has all new internals. I want to get a nicer torque converter and I don't know what would be a upgrade over what looks like the stock one.

Back