wont shift from 1st to 2nd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wont shift from 1st to 2nd

twisted4x4

Reaction score
i have a 94 exploder with 4.0lt motor and auto tranny. 4wd. lately it will not shift out of 1st gear until you let completely off the throttle and then give it gas. i have had the tranny fluid changed and a new filter installed but with the same results. can this problem be fixed without rebuilding the tranny ?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem... ended up getting rid of the expy and getting a new one due to all the other stuff wrong with it... it had 198000 when i got rid of it... it just kept getting worse though.. started around 185000 i changed the fluid a couple times and it helped for a while but i think someone told me it was the torque converter!? Good luck!

My '92 had the issue back when I had the a4ld. It did it worse when it was cold out.. Once everything warmed up, all was fine.

In my case it was the governer(sp?) sticking. I belive the a4ld rebuild diary has a pic of it. On a 4x4 truck you remove the transfer case (A few bolts + driveshafts) to reach the governer.. and then one bolt to remove it.

~Mark

Before you do anything else, check the modulator valve, and the governor. BTW, I had the same problem in my '94, and it was the governor sticking. I cleaned it out and now it works great! Check Glacier991's rebuild diary for pics and details on this.

Well.... after doing some checking with a vacuum tester, I found out that it is not even shifting into 2nd but staight to 3rd from 1st when it did shift. So the next project at the "bustedknuckle garage" is to take off the transfer case and check the governor. ( Thank the almighty that I have a mech. that lives across the street, and likes free beer!)

You could also have a broken intermediate band.

Try and adjust the intermediate band. If you cannot then you have isolated your problem... OR, drop the pan and look for band parts.

I've already had the pan off twice because we put in another valve body. If there is a thread on band adjustment please show me. My buds and I are pretty good shadetrees, plus I have a mechanic that lives across the street that will help from time to time.

would you suggest that we also tighten the band to 15ft. lbs. then back it off and set it to 10 ft. lbs.

OK, I have the governor out and it did't look bad but this is my first time doing this so I don't know what to look for. It does say Ford on it so it may be OME. Would it be smarter for me to buy a new one and if so where can I get one. By the way, Thanks for all the help you guys are a lifesaver!

I forgot to tell ya'll ( I am from N.C.) that I did adjust the intermediate band first and it did'nt help. I also noticed that it had a delay in going into reverse.

The stalk gets worn down after a while. You could get a new one from Ford, and upgrade the weight with a Sonnax replacement. You might find # 62 in my list of useful threads interesting: Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went by the Ford place and talked to their transmission man. He told me that if the other shifts were good that it was not the governor, but to check the intermediate servo and make sure that all the seals are good. We are getting some rain down here( thank God!) so I hope to get around to it in the next day or so.

Back