• Register Today It's free!

Working on the hard brake lines.

Friborage

Reaction score
City, State
Hazleton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0L
Hello, 1995 Explorer, 4.0... I've been working on the hard brake lines for awhile, the left front hard line rusted out just before it meets with the rubber line.

I broke the rubber line free and replaced it, got the bracket off the old line and put it on the new one, hooked up to the caliper, now that's just sitting there waiting for the new hard line.

I traced the line up to the HCU abs unit, but looking at the thing, it looks like it's not just a regular brake line fitting/tube nut.

Not this...
http://www.gomog.com/brakeBubbleFlare.jpg

But instead it looks like it's going to be a male end coming out of the HCU and a female nut on the line like this...
http://www.gomog.com/BrakeDoubleFlare.jpg

I havnt taken it apart yet because Im not sure what Im going to find when I do. If it is the 2nd one, how do I handle that? I dont recall ever seeing something like that at my store.. I know the one end is bubble at the soft line connection, is the line at the HCU inverted flare like in that picture?

Am I going to have to cut the end off and reuse that connection and then double flare a new line?

Found out for myself, it is indeed inverted double flare on the hcu end, you will need to cut off the fitting and reuse it on the new, reflared line.

I did have bubble on the caliper end, so you'll buy a piece with bubble flare m10 metric thread on both ends, cut one end off and then put the fitting on, reflare to double inverted for the hcu end.

Yup, that is what you have to do, Double flaring is not too hard, just make sure the fitting on there before you double flare it or you will be swearing. I could not find that fitting anywhere, not even an adapter fitting or anything, so don't lose it and doing it yourself is pretty much your only option.

Yup, that is what you have to do, Double flaring is not too hard, just make sure the fitting on there before you double flare it or you will be swearing. I could not find that fitting anywhere, not even an adapter fitting or anything, so don't lose it and doing it yourself is pretty much your only option.

Yeah I've already flared lines before, I have the tool rented already cause I thought I might need it... and I very nearly almost did that on another line on this car, haha... I had the flare tool clamped on and was starting to tighten down the adapter to flatten out the top for phase 1 of the double flare, and I stopped like... wait a minute... that would have pissed me off... lol.

Thanks a lot, though!

Back