www.BamaChips.com, Not a new name just a new business.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

www.BamaChips.com, Not a new name just a new business..

Doug904

Sponsor
Reaction score
City, State
Jasper, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Roush GT
Hey guys,

Some of you will remember me from my old Vortech supercharged 4.0 OHV Ranger Splash, and some of you will know me from my custom Paxton Supercharged 4.0 SOHC Ranger but I've been here awhile.

Ever since Brian Herron left Apten their customer service has lacked when it comes to Rangers/Explorers/Sport Trac's. Brian contacted me back in the spring and asked if I wanted to begin tuning myself, I've have a strong history in the 4.0 business from www.4.0Performance.com. I agreed and this was where Bama Chips began. I've known Brian since he's started Apten and used to use him primarily for my 4.0 performance business.

Since I've done many 4.0's from OHV's to expressly SOHC's in mainly Ranger's and a good deal of Explorer's as well. I've also done plenty of 5.0 Explorer's with some good results. I try to aim my business at the Ranger/Explorer/Sport trac owners since there isn't anyone that does, and I've done so since early May. I also put my customer service as my #1 priority. I always state if your not happy with either my products or customer service return it for a full refund including shipping.

With my 4.0 SOHC programs I aim to put back what the factory left off, the mid range. These motor's make 47 more hp then the older OHV but only 5 more ft/lbs of torque. I do increase the top end performance but my main focus is down low, who drives at 6,000 rpm's all the time anyway?

I can do all the normal stuff as well, such as improving shift quality and feel along with shift points on an auto. Any tire and/or gear size changes along with raising the rev limiters and speed limiters to a higher value. I won't go any higher then 6500 with the SOHC 4.0 because there's no reason to, it's finished making power well before then.

Do you have an 02-up four door Explorer and have been told there's no way to buy a flasher for your vehicle? I have them in stock and ready to ship. I can make all of the adjustments for your vehicle as well as any other.

Now one more qualifing point is I do the new Explorer Express X-charger tuning as well. Dave Vanek can atest to my excellent products and great customer service.

So please feel free to contact me at BamaChips@charter.net or visit my site at www.BamaChips.com . I will be revising the site very soon to include a list of customers along with some great dyno numbers I've seen from my tuning. I've got a guy in texas with a stock SOHC in an ext-cab ranger 2wd 5-speed running 14.8's with my 87 program, he was only messing around and didn't have the higher octane fuel to run that night at the track with my higher octane performance program.

If you'd like to see some great info on Supercharging either a OHV or SOHC 4.0 then simply do a search on my member name. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Doug904. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats awesome that we have another person doing chips. You can reburn 4.0 OHV chips correct?

Chew_12 said:
Thats awesome that we have another person doing chips. You can reburn 4.0 OHV chips correct?

Only if it's an SCT based chip, it will have a blue connector on it. Most of the Apten dual program chips were Diablo's, they have a black connector. If it is an Diablo based chip I can work with you a bit on a new one, give you a good trade in discount, if you'd like to start with something new.

Thanks, Doug904.

there is a lot of sct on this board now.

how much do these chips run $$$???

My Multi-position chips are $325 with 3 programs. An 87 Performance, 93 Performance and 93 Torque.

My X-calibrators are $375 with the same programs.

I would need to know what mods you have done to your vehicle along with what you may plan on in the near future. This way I can better tailor your tuning to your vehicle. Also what type of driving you do and what your looking for from a chip/tuner.

Thanks, Doug904.

What do you charge to re-burn or add programs to existing chips? These questions seem to get asked often. ;)

Can you do the 5.0 explorers?

celly said:
What do you charge to re-burn or add programs to existing chips? These questions seem to get asked often. ;)

For reburns I charge $40 for three totally new programs on a programmer or chip.

Now, I would like to offer additions to your existing programmer for free, I do ask $5 to cover return shipping. This would work well if you would like to try one of my programs comparied to one of my competitors. Then if you did decide that you would like three of my programs then simply return it along with $40 for them. Alot of dealers can charge as much as $25 per program.

For small changes I don't charge anything. Say you changed gears or tire sizes, adjustments to your programming take me about a minute to update so I can't see charging for such minor adjustments. There again I do ask for $5 to cover return priority mail shipping, with a tracking label for you to follow it's shipping progress.

This business isn't my daily bread, so I'm not in it to make a living but rather to help out a whole group of people that in my views have been left out. The Ranger and Explorer owners. I can tell you over the years I've dealt with more chip tuners then a bag of frito lays and until I got with Brian Herron the support and technical knowledge was very poor.

Can you do the 5.0 explorers?

I've done around twelve 5.0 Explorer's with some great results. I've created programming for 91 octane fuel as well as 93 for my high performance program and of course the low octane 87. The main focus point I've found on these vehicles is the transmission shifting quality, it's not too great in stock form so I go in and give it a boost.

Just let me know,

thanks, Doug904.

Glad to see you back Doug, and glad you are offering a great service for us EF guys!!

You were/are definately one of the great Explorer engine guys!! :thumbsup:

Doug904 said:
Only if it's an SCT based chip, it will have a blue connector on it. Most of the Apten dual program chips were Diablo's, they have a black connector. If it is an Diablo based chip I can work with you a bit on a new one, give you a good trade in discount, if you'd like to start with something new.

Thanks, Doug904.

Can you recommend anyone to reburn my dual program plus stock Apten Diablo chip. If not, I'd be interested in hearing from you about your 'trade in discount'. Appreciate if you could PM me with any details.

Thanks,

Lee

how about a 99 2wd on 33s w/ 4.10 gears running 87 octane and tow 4000lbs 3-4 times a year? got a chip for me? ;)

swak6287 said:
how about a 99 2wd on 33s w/ 4.10 gears running 87 octane and tow 4000lbs 3-4 times a year? got a chip for me? ;)

Yes sir I do, depending on if you have the SOHC or OHV I may or maynot be able to adjust for your tire/gear changes. Let me be a little more specific. The OHV processor doesn't have any adjustment for these values in it. The SOHC in 99' does.

If you'll email me your engine style I will give you a brief description of what I have to offer along with pricing. My email address is

BamaChips@charter.net

Thanks, Doug904.

Robb said:
Glad to see you back Doug, and glad you are offering a great service for us EF guys!!

You were/are definately one of the great Explorer engine guys!! :thumbsup:

Thanks!! You still have that 96 with 180K on the clock with new heads? How's it doing?

Later Doug904. :D

Lee,
For reburning your Diablo chip, you can contact PDQ Peformance Warehouse,
407-321-5644, ask for Chris Stanjahl. Tell him Wayne from Hypnotic Illusions sent you.
Chris and I go way back to 1997 when he and his superstar tuner brother Pat (now with Diablos R&D) tuned my 1994 F150 when I was sponsored by Superchips Inc for Fun Ford weekend.
Lee S. said:
Can you recommend anyone to reburn my dual program plus stock Apten Diablo chip.

Interesting there are all these SCT tuners coming out of the wood work. Thank the Gods!!!!!

And you gots some good competition here Hyp.
One of the original performance guru's returns.

But speaking of Splash and thinking of Splat what ever happened to Alec??? I haven't seen a post by him for a good long time.

dreamr said:
Interesting there are all these SCT tuners coming out of the wood work. Thank the Gods!!!!!

And you gots some good competition here Hyp.
One of the original performance guru's returns.

But speaking of Splash and thinking of Splat what ever happened to Alec??? I haven't seen a post by him for a good long time.

Last I remembered he sold Splat and bought a VR4 or 6(?) Volkswagon. He was still hanging out here helping for a while. Those were the days, we get supercharger posts asking which was better Vortech or BBK and we'd end up posting pages upon pages of info on both along with timeslips and dyno results. I still have a dyno run video of the old splash, let me find the link and I'll post it. Here's an old picture at a show I did of under the hood with the Vortech....

chrome.jpg

Later Doug904.

Credit Where Its Due

I am not a centrifugal fan, I have used both, but prefer Pos displacement. BUT, There are few out there who can open a hood and see whats in the photo above. My hat is off to you, Thats one of the best looking motors I have seen. The hours it must have taken to that lever of detail and care, JUST WOW.

Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to see you back in the game Doug, it's been a while since I've seen you post.

Back