X-cal2 and Rancho quick lift. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

X-cal2 and Rancho quick lift.

With the buy 3 deal the QL is a little easer on the wallet than 4 struts and springs. Since i run the devlopment tire and rim, hey they bounce I'll send them s#*t's back.
I like my x to ride hard, i drive it hard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

265/70/17... I needed new struts anyway, so that wasn't a factor in this purchase.

4 Coilsprings less than $500.00. 4 QL $600 (during the special - $199.00 each after). Overall, the purchase of 4 Coilsprings is a less expensive way to accomplish the same goal. They each have a negative and a positive... coilsprings will probably out live the QL strut; but the QL has an adjustable comfort setting (which most people will never use, like most people don't use 4x4 Exs to go offroad)

All said and done, Coilsprings is the better value.

thanks for the info

That bouncing was hilarious! I wouldn't let it happen again, but hilarious! :)

Donner, regarding the bouncing front of your Ex, did you use the original stock front springs with the QL's or did you use your new coil springs with the QL's? I'm just trying to make sure I understand what spring/ shock combo was causing the front to bounce. Thanks!
BTW, your truck looks great!

thanks! On the front we used the QL w/oversized CoilSpring, bounced. then we used the QL with the oem springs, bounced. So we went with the standard strut and the oversized Coilsprings, no problem! The rears did fine, so we did QL with oem spring. BUT if your 03 came with stock 16" rims, you should have no problem with the QL/oem spring combo.

Donner did you contact rancho about the bounce, will they give you a refund on the front struts? The bounce that i thought went away is still there but not as bad as at first. I called rancho and they said they have not heard of this issue.Did you get a 4-wheel alignment after the lift, rancho said it was not necessary but i dont want to ruin my tires.

I contacted Rancho, but decided to return the QL to the shop... Rancho is great at warranty issues. You can return the struts if you're not pleased with them... What size rim/tire combo do you have? And which QL # did you buy?

I have 265 75 16 tire/ rim combo on now but the truck came with 235 75 17 on it.
the QL # are 999781 and 999797.

265/75/16 - the application is made for 265/70/17. Everyone says this doesn't make a diff, but one tech at Rancho said it would cause bouncing - another said no. But you are bouncing and I bounced like a 63 Impala at a car show. The rear 999781 should be fine, but Coilsprings up front w/a regular strut is fine - and less expensive.

Which one of the 4 did you get for free? I got one rear for free, so I get credit for the front two.

Well it looks like the 3 for 4 deal is over so I will not be buying the QL. Ford here said its about $1090 and no 3 for 4 deal. Plus they wanted a **** load of money to install them. Anyway I'll put the money toward something else. Oh wait I did already some new front grills.

Ok I'm going to kick the guy at ford in the head. I just checked Rancho site and they are showing the 3 for 4 deal still. lol what a hammerhead.

Ha! He was gonna pocket the money :)

You know the more i think about the 16 17 thing the more it doesnt fit. Wheel rim diameter should not hinder the way a shock dampens movement. A 265/75/? is the same 16 or 17. am i right? My Expd had 265/75/17 stock. i added 265/75/16 to my Explr the tire height was the same just shy of 32 inches. i believe if you had 265/75/24 the tire height would still be 32". My point is that travel at the center point would be the same.
Bad lot of shocks? Did you guys happen to retain the packaging with the lot or production ###'s. I might bet there the same. If not, Rancho has a design issue.

So 97Sport, You like your QL's?
Donner doesn't, except for the rears,
Has anyone else installed them yet?
Is this bouncing issue something we should expect?
I've already got a quote from Kevin at coilsprings.com, but am thinking pretty hard on these quick lifts now that they're finally here.

I have been reading all the " I want to lift my Ex " Threads here for quite some time. I want to lift mine too. I contacted a local 4wd shop in my area about the quick lift. $750 installed for my 04. I'm not nearly mechanically inclined like you guys but that sounds like a good deal. Sometime this summer....I hope.

So what happened to old matey that started this thread??
Scotty

Im not getting the QL but I have ordered the Xct3 for my Explorer. Just waiting for it to get here. Instead of the QL I got myself a EMaxx.

Oh and I got some nice new grills on the front of my Explorer. Top and Bottom. I'll post my pics Sunday maybe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Questions about QL vs Coilspring

I am moving to Steamboat Spring, CO and I want to add some type of lift to keep my tires from rubbing when driving downhill on the mountain trails.

I like the idea of the QL for its simplicity vs the Coilspring. The one concern for mild offroading is that the stock setup has very little down movement on the tire. If you get all the weight on opposite tires you are basically stuck as the other two tires spin. With the QL and Coilspring lift do you lose anymore of that downward movement? Is either better? Does either improve on the stock setup? Would one be better then the other for stiff offroading?

Thats all the questions for now.:)

Back