XLT 201A vs. LIMITED 300a : What is a good Offer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

XLT 201A vs. LIMITED 300a : What is a good Offer

jakefeb3

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was hoping to get a 2nd opinion on the offer I am getting from my dealer.

I currently have a "2011 Explorer: XLT rapidspec: 201A" ordered (no options)
The dealer offer was: $34,800.00

I am considering changing my order to "LIMITED rapidspec 300A" (no options)
My question is: What do you think they would offer me? I was wondering what price you guys would think is fair. I know that it all depends on my specific situation. I just would love to hear from fellow buyers, to see what you guys have experienced. I'm not looking for the ABSOLUTE lowest price possible, but just wondering if its in my price range, and etc. Thank you very much guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moreover: I am wondering if the dealer would have more "wiggle room" in price if I were to get the LIMITED, vs the XLT with 201A spec. Thanks again

Need more info, 2WD or 4WD? I don't see why you can't walk into the dealership and say "I want XYZ model/trim for invoice pricing, nothing more, I've done my homework, I'm ready to buy right now". I did this with 3 area dealerships, all of them played ball. Keep in mind they are still making 4-5% profit by selling to you at invoice. For reference, grocery stores make ~3% and that is considered good. If they're hard-@ssses then just walk out, play the game. If you tell them you're ready to buy right then and there, tell them you've done your research and name your price, you have the upper hand. Any dealership in their right mind would sell at invoice for a MASS-produced vehicle. This isn't a Shelby GT500. They are betting that you WANT IT NOW, which is their only advantage. Take this away from them by telling them you're in no hurry and will wait for more stock. Tell them somebody else can pay MSRP, you have patience (I'm hoping). People always pay WAY more for crap they just have to have now (new video game consoles come to mind, new Apple products, etc). In 3 months when supply has caught up, they feel foolish for spending nearly twice the amount. If exclusivity means that much to you, be all means spend for it.

Read up: http://www.leaseguide.com/Articles/carprices.htm

both options will be 4WD. The XLT Offer is with the 201A rapid spec, and nothing else

The LIMITED would also be 4WD, no options, just the 300A, which is the default option for LIMITED.

I am at a loss in some ways, because I live in an area (Montana) where I can't really just drive to another ford dealer. I only have 1 ford dealer to deal with, so I am trying to "play nice". I am anticipating that I could for sure get an offer around $38,800.00 for the 4WD LIMITED. Do you think I could go lower? I don't want to sour my relationship, because I do like the guy I am dealing with.

I am at a loss in some ways, because I live in an area (Montana) where I can't really just drive to another ford dealer.

My only comment there...

You can fly somewhere and drive a day home if a few grand is worth it and you find the deal.

OK, I have another comment. You are talking a big jump from 201A to Limited. Features and price. Is this from the subwoofer thread? If so, get the 201A and spend $1k on a custom solution. A good installer can do something amazing.

Yes, If I really really wanted to, I could go to another dealer. That isnt exactly related to the issue though. There are a handful of things that I want/like in the Limited, that I would not get in the XLT. Yea the subwoofer thing too. I am just trying to plan ahead. It seems to be impossible to get anyone to talk actual dollar values. I am not really looking for someone to address whether or not I need a Limited or not. But I would rather like to receive some insight on the dealer's flexibility in pricing and such. I do appreciate any info though.

A side note: I was speaking with the sales rep about a XLT 201A, and XLT 200A. And he was giving me the business, you know, about how he would be offering me "less" of a deal, off the sticker, because the vehicle would cost less.... I dont know how much of that is nonsense, and how much of that is truth. But that was what kind of started my interest in this idea. Would they(in theory) give me an even BETTER deal, if I buy more car? (aka, upgrading from XLT to Limited). I know you guys are just trying to help me out. Thanks for you efforts

Thanks for input. Think I could get that low? Im going to Talk to my guy tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it down low enough to where I can upgrade

I used this "PenFed Car buying tool" when I purchased my Explorer last weekend:
http://penfed.zag.com/main.html?referrer_id=ZPEN000004

The dealership I purchased my Explorer didn't participate in this program. I just printed it out and said "This is what dealership B will sell it to me for, what can you do" and the sold it to me for the same price! (Actually, my dealership had a lower Doc fee)

The price I ended up getting my Limited with 300A + Voice Nav was Invoice less $1,000 incentive. I feel like I got a great deal with zero haggling.

Good Luck!

I used this "PenFed Car buying tool" when I purchased my Explorer last weekend:
http://penfed.zag.com/main.html?referrer_id=ZPEN000004

The dealership I purchased my Explorer didn't participate in this program. I just printed it out and said "This is what dealership B will sell it to me for, what can you do" and the sold it to me for the same price! (Actually, my dealership had a lower Doc fee)

The price I ended up getting my Limited with 300A + Voice Nav was Invoice less $1,000 incentive. I feel like I got a great deal with zero haggling.

Good Luck!

What was your drive away price (including taxe, title, dealer fee)?

That is a good deal. Surprised the dealer sold at that price considering the limited availabilty of Ex's right now!

My negotiated price was $37,368.53, Doc Prep was $299 & taxes were $1166.70. Incentive was $1,000 Title fee was $16.50. I had a trade with equity. Backing that out, out the door price was $37,834.23 on a car that stickers for $38,700. Hopefully all that math adds up correctly. LOL

Back